unmountable boot volume -Again..

edited May 2009 in Hardware
Hi everyone, I'm new here so I wasn't sure where to post this but about four days ago my computer came up with that blue screen error unmountable boot volume, and it wasn't recognizing my hard drive so I couldn't repair it with Windows Vista CD. Then after trying pretty much everything, I tried the disk one more time and it recognized my hard drive and it was able to repair everything. It was fine and then last night it came up with the error again and it isn't recognizing my hard drive again. When I put the Vista CD in it and go the command prompt it says x:\sources which is what happened last time. I guess I just want to know what people think I should try this time because I'm not sure what I did right last time. I realize my hard drive is probably failing, but I can't afford a new one right now and I need my computer so any suggestions would help. Sorry for such a long post, and thank you so much.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I'm pretty positive that your hard drive is dying/dead. It's exhibiting all the classic symptoms, and there's nothing you can really you can do to recover one from the grave.

You might try double-checking that its cables are securely connected, but beyond that, if the PC doesn't see it, it doesn't see it.

Welcome to Icrontic.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Have you attempted to contact the manufacturer? Some drive warranty's are pretty good, about 3 years. You might be able to RMA it.

As for the data on it, I hope you backed up.
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited May 2009
    Have you also made sure that the cables are nice and snug on the drive? I would recommend (while the PC is off, of course) disconnecting and reconnecting the drive cables and power connectors, just to rule out a loose cable somewhere... I had this happen to me once, and it was simply due to the drive cable coming loose from fan vibrations to cause the drive to not be seen by the hardware. Once I unplugged/replugged the cables, the drive was fine, and is working great to this day.