Ergonomic Keyboards

NemikanNemikan Icrontian
edited May 2009 in Hardware
Now that I'm starting out as a programmer, I'm beginning to think I need to buy an Ergonomic Keyboard. Reason being is that my hands / wrist already do not like me from constant gaming and coding for classes. I'm predicting the constant programming at work will only make the issue more prevalent and I'm hoping to circumvent problems.

The questions are:
1. Do you use one?
2. What are your thoughts on using them?
3. How helpful are they?

Optional:
4. will you be bringing one to Epic that i might be able to try / test?

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I'm using a MS FA6 at the office and one from Belkin at home that they apparently don't make anymore.

I think using ergonomic keyboards for programming all day is critical. Just resting your hands on it, you look down and go "oh wow, my wrists aren't at a crazy angle for once." I used to have times when my wrists started to get sore and intermittent numbness like I was working on some carpel tunnel, but I definitely haven't had any of that in the last year since I got an ergo at the office too.

I really like my MS keyboard more because of the media keys, but the lack of Windows key on the right side is a major PITA - it has some lame right-click key instead. (I use the Win + L shorcut to lock my workstation whenever I stand up and it's annoying to reach across the keyboard). The wrist rest and plastic insert that raises up the side closest to you are awesome too.

I find that I have no trouble adapting back to a normal keyboard or laptop either. The ergo is a little weird for the first week but then it's like normal again.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I've learned to cope with a normal keyboard but I much prefer the MS Natural Keyboard Pro. My left wrist doesn't have full range of motion due to injuries sustained in junior high, so I find it's much more comfortable for prolonged use.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Side note: I prefer the split-center keyboards (like mine) over those that try to split the difference and just curve the entire keyboard (like the Logitech Wave).
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I have the trusty MS Natural 4000 at work and love it. The front being higher than the back is utterly critical, and it's one of my favorite keyboards ever.

If they made a Bluetooth version I could find in stores anywhere, I'd get it quicklike.