Windows 7 -- How's it going for you ?

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited May 2009 in Science & Tech
Who all is running 7 and what are your thoughts ? Install,devices and all that stuff. Any problems ?

I am not to sure about the "Homegroup" but we will see.

I did a clean install of 64 bit on my gamer. From the time I rebooted with the disk in the drive to a shiney new desktop was 25 minutes. Pretty snappy. It found all devices conected and I did not need to install anything afterwords. Except my software. It went really smooth. I am very happy with it so far.

I also did an upgrade install from beta 7000 to RC 7100 ( changed the cversion.ini file ) on our laptop. It was a tough decision on clean or upgrade. The wife uses it mostly and had just gotten everything the way she likes it. So I thought the uprade would be the "path of least resistance" ( If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! )
The upgrade took about 1 1/2 hours. But worked like a charm. All her settings are intact.

All in all, I am very happy with it !

Now if it is priced right...MS will have a winner.

Scott

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Running RC1 64 Runs gerat no issues at all Ill buy it when its released
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I've been using it full-time since pre-RC build 7032 (February). Sleep and suspend still require a full restart of my PC, but I don't care because my PC is either on or off.

Other than this one error, I've had absolutely zero bugs or crashes with full-time use.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Been using it on my main work/gaming rig since initial beta release, now running 7068. Haven't had time to switch to RC yet. I've been extremely pleased with it. The only issues I've had were related to ATI drivers for Crossfire under build 7000, went away when I moved to 7068. No crashes since, everything runs smooth and fast.

Definitely buying it when it comes out and loading it on all my Windows rigs.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I too have been running the beta since January. I stuck with 7000 til now.

I just remembered I did have an issue with Logitech setpoint on the gamer. I found a work around. The latest drivers would not work. I had to uninstall and install an older version ( 4.0 I think ) and then update to the newer. All functionality then worked.
    But this would be Logitech's problem.

Scott
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I have had 2 gray screen lockups, one blue screen (without the error code), and one UAC faded screen lockup.... When I say lock up, the system is not ping-able, not Remote Desktop-able, I'm talking hard restart...

Oh wait, that was Windows Vista.... ;D

Windows 7 = ROCK SOLID!!!
  • edited May 2009
    I'm enjoying it a LOT, using it as the main os on my desktop and once summer classes are over will be switching it over to be the main on my laptop as well. It keeps the good things about vista without the huge footprint, which is very nice. Gaming performance has increased as well.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Other than one blue screen during Far Cry I haven't had any problems with everyday use. It would be the only OS on all of my systems except one part of my telecommuting software package won't work on it. I'm working with IT to see if it's possible to get it working under XP mode.

Aside from that, everything is excellent.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I've been running the beta on various older machines to test how it will work on older machines no major issues (except video playback on a crappy intel Laptop video card). However, the RC is on my new main Gaming/Workhorse machine and I hadn't had any major issues. I did have a sleep issue where it didn't come back on even though hard drive lights and monitor signal was on, but screen was black. Did hard reboot and never had that problem since.

I installed a fresh OS on a new harddrive, so I still had my old HD with all my games. I reinstalled steam over the old steam diredctory and all my games were operational. Worked like a charm! Will have to reinstall my EA games, not the same luck with the EA Downloader.

I have 8 gigs of ram installed, I know its under the hood, but I've actually haven't loaded it enough to see it max out. I think I've got it up 4.5+ but thats with system monitor running while I had MSDN downloading some isos, photoshop 64bit open, and while playing GTA4. That being said, I've held on to XP for as long as I could, but I can't wait for Windows 7 to be offical. Time is right for x64 and Windows 7 is going to do it for consumers.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I have been running it on 5 machines total so far in 32 or 64 bit since the Beta release with no real problems. To me it is the candy of Vista with the stability of XP and then some! I have already allocated cash to purchase upgrade versions faor all machines when it goes to retail. This is the first windows release that will not need patching when released. :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I've gotten comfortable with it on my netbook (which runs better with 7 than it did with XP; the niggling touchpad issues are gone, for example), and I'm starting to strategize a switch to 7 for mine and my kids' desktops.

Microsoft hasn't gotten something this right since Windows 2000. I'm sold.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    ^ This is exactly how I feel.

//edit: omw to iccw now
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Agreed... I am going to hunt around for deals for Win7 when it comes out.