J gets New PC just in time for LAN 2009

jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
edited May 2009 in Hardware
yep I caved and bought all new hardware. It's been about 3 to 4 years with my old hardware. Some were replaced like the main board and processor in lan 2007 but all other hardware I've had for a long time.

I based my specs a lot on the $600 PC that Icrontic spec'd out.

So here is what I got. Total w/shipping = $442.50.

Processor:
Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Main Board:
ECS G31T-M(1.0) LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Video:
POWERCOLOR AX4850 512MD3-HV2 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Case:
APEX TM-366-35 Black Steel Micro ATX Tower Computer Case ATX12V V2.2 350W Power Supply - Retail

Memory:
OCZ Vista Upgrade 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail. Props to OCZ

Drives:
LG Black 16X DVD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DH16NS10 - OEM

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3160813AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

ASUS Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - OEM

Comments

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    So...do you have a ticket?!
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    So...do you have a ticket?!

ticket?

ticket for lan?
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Yes!
    edited May 2009
    oh, i got one. I'm going to bring my tf2 skills. which I mean I have none
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Why did you get such a shit motherboard?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Why did you get such a shit motherboard?

Brian, thanks for asking the question I decided not to ask since I am such a sensitive guy. /:
    edited May 2009
    Thanks Prime and Mt. I ordered the wrong mother board. My haste made waste

The new Main board is
    GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard.

I realized that I did not get a heat sink so if I have to wait for the heat sink I might as well correct the motherboard mistake too. Thanks prime for the warning on the ECS motherboard I trust your opinion more that mine on this type of stuff.

I'm a noob again on PC hardware
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited May 2009
    Also what brand of PSU is in the Apex case a generic PSU would be a sin in a decent rig. :buck:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    so why did you buy a shitty motherboard again?...

or is there a reason you want micro-ATX G31?
  • edited May 2009
    fatcat wrote:
    so why did you buy a shitty motherboard again?...

or is there a reason you want micro-ATX G31?

I'm a lot more curious why he's using that power supply.
    edited May 2009
    I'm not a real big believer in buying over priced PSU's. I've never had a problem with generics. I'm an average use. No over clocking, I burn CDs rarely, I don't push the uper limits of the supply. The problems come from pushing the limitation on the PSU. Harder there push the hotter the MOSFETS get and when the MOSFETS heat up there internal resistance goes up, which makes them hotter. Eventually it will fail or turn off and on due to a protection circuit. You'll get thermal run away and all kinds of shit happens then. The more expensive supplies have better MOSFETs and such that allow long term limit usage 80 to 100%.

For a user (like myself) who uses the supply at 60 to 70% rated value. one PSU is the same as the other. Interesting though I really don't know were I use the supply. I have some equipment at work that will let me log the power usage. Might be a good write up for Icrontic.

There everyone, that's why I went with the generic PSU. Geez.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Tl;dr:

The power supply is shit and no amount of EE moonspeak is going to change the fact that you bought a power supply with components that will fail because they are bad, not because of heat, resistance, or anything else.
    edited May 2009
    moonspeak...lol...moonspeak...lol. Ph god if I could only hear you say that word