Migrating a RAID 0 Array

edited May 2009 in Hardware
I found an old thread here on migrating a raid 0 array, so I figured this would be a good place to ask a related question.

The current controller I have, a Silicon Image 3114R, is supposedly a fake hardware - basically software - controller. Either the motherboard (A8N-SLI Premium) or CPU is apparently beyond hope - when it boots, it no longer lasts more than a minute or so, tops - so copying the data to another drive isn't an option.

I plan on my next computer (which I may be forced to purchase now) being primarily a Linux machine, so I'll probably use it's build-in support for software RAID. My question is, since I'll be migrating from software RAID to software RAID, would it be at all possible to rebuild the existing array, or does it not fundamentally change the problem? My hope is that the available Linux drivers for 3114R arrays will allow it to work without the controller being present.

UPDATE: I'm not sure if there is a driver for that controller, actually. :-/

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    All I can say;

Best case it will be a crap shoot.
    Worst case (more likely) all is lost.

The likelyhood of a successful array transfer is not likely.

Have you tested your PSU? That could possibly be the cause of your hardware problems. Please give more deatils on your system and check the PSU. Also try to get into the bios and make sure everything is still set corectly. The battery on the MB could be bad also.
  • edited May 2009
    The Phoenix POST beep code I'm getting is 2-1-1-1: "Set Initial CPU speed".

I've reset the BIOS settings both using onboad jumpers and removing the battery and by loading defaults while I could get the machine to boot up long enough to do so.

I've tested the battery. It reads ~2.7-3 volts.

I've tried removing the video card, sound card and RAM cards.

I haven't bothered trying to replace the power supply [UPDATE: I did. No luck.] for the following reasons:
    1) I don't have another one to try with.
    2) The POST error above doesn't indicate a problem with the power supply.
    3) The power never shuts off. The monitor loses any signal and everything dies, but not the power. In the past, it would sometimes immediately reboot, but not anymore.
    4) For the last couple years, what may have been this same problem happened once in a while playing a game, generally on a hot day: it would suddenly reboot. The problem generally went away if I opened the computer case and/or turned off CPU overclocking. When it started happening this last time, it was at first only while playing a game, which then became more frequent, until it was happening any time at all and then always happened, over the course of several days. Only difference is, it hadn't been particularly hot and I turned off the overclocking early on.

I've therefore concluded that it's the CPU that went bad. However, I suppose I'll go to Fry's and pick up a power supply to be sure.

UPDATE: Changing the power supply changed nothing.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Well it sounds like you have tried the obvious and nothing is working. I just had to offer what I could to try to give you a chance at recovering your data. At this point all you can do is try to install on a new board and see if the option to detect or recover an exisiting array will work or not. :(