VOIP In the US

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited May 2009 in Internet & Media
I have a limited experience with VOIP in the UK (from a consumer not business point of view) and I've used VOIP Cheap and Skype.

I have 2 colleagues in the US (NY to be precise) who wish to start using VOIP, so, what VOIP carriers should I be looking at?

The calls will be a mix of US / Europe within standard 9-6 hours (New York time), cost is clearly an issue, but if another carrier is far more reliable and better qualirty for a small increase then this would be prefeffed.

So... reccomend away!

Thanks!

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Vonage... I pay $18 a month for, like 500 minutes. It's only $25 for unlimited. I really like Vonage. I hooked up a UPS to my cable modem, Vonage device, my Wireless router, and 24-port switch. Now I don't think I've lost Phone (internet or network) in over a year.

My cell phone also has wireless and when I make calls via wireless, they do not use minutes. So that's VOIP also... ;)
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited May 2009
    These guys just have bog standard USB phones... would this work like that? - i.e. download a small program from the web and use it from system tray etc?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    No... It is a little box that you plug a ethernet cable into and that into a network switch which is connected to the internet. The box then has a port that you can plug in a phone or, in my case, the entire house so every normal phone is functional.
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited May 2009
    Ah ok, that sounds pretty cool. Not sure how it would work for them, as they are in a serviced office so suspect they basically have a phone on their desk and an ethernet cable for their PCs / Laptops... I think strctly speaking they don't 'allow' VOIP as they make a fortune out of the call costs, however, you can usually get away with it ;-)