Internet radios question

edited June 2009 in Internet & Media
I was wondering if it is possible to record internet radios.Been listening lately to some internet radios that play good music, but I'm not always near a pc to be able to listen to them.It would be great if I could listen to the music they have on my phone when I'm away from home.

Comments

• Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    If your phone allows, you can put the url for the stream (which can be found in the url bar when the station is playing, should end in .wav or something like that) into your phone. You should be able to hear it if your phone supports either flash or quicktime, mattering what they use to stream.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Check for podcasts as well.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    pandora has apps for a few platforms. what phone do you have?
  • SoundySoundy Pitt Meadows, BC
    edited May 2009
    I can easily listen to streaming radio websites on my Windows Mobile phone (having a $15 unlimited data package helps).

For recording streaming radio on your computer, there are a number of apps that will do it seamlessly, although almost any audio-recording app will let you do it with most sound cards/chipsets these days - just set your record mixer to use the "Stereo Mix" as its source.
  • edited May 2009
    I have a nokia, but nothing fancy smancy so I doubt that it would work to install anything for playing streams.That's why I was thinking about recording.Maybe you could give me some suggestions on what apps I should try.
    edited May 2009
    Try googling "streaming radio recorder" :) Sorry, I can't suggest anything specific - the very rare times I've needed to record a stream, I've just used Audacity and set my record mixer appropriately.
  • edited May 2009
    well, gonna check out this audacity although I hope it's nothing too hard to use.Also google and found a couple of reviews here
    http://radio.about.com/od/recordstreamingaudio/a/blrecordinghub.htm
    I guess they must have tested them, if they wrote the reviews. I think it's better to use a more reliable source than starting to install all kinds of apps from the tons of sorces I found,I don't wanna fuck up my pc.
    edited May 2009
    Audacity isn't hard to use, really, but it's designed as a multi-track recording app, so it's designed to do a lot more than what you're trying to do. Kinda like using Photoshop to rotate and resize your photos - it'll do it, but it's way overkill :)

Just looking at the reviews of Freecorder and the Freecorder Toolbar, looks like either will do the trick for you.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Been a while since I have played with it, but I used to mess with a little freeware app called screamer radio. It was fairly easy to use, pick an internet station, press record.
  • edited June 2009
    Hmm, didn't know about screamer radio either.That radiotracker one also looks pretty interesting.It does podcasts and seems to have some sort of music finder function, though didn't really understand exactly what it does from that article.Must dig a little further.
  • willschillinwillschillin 18944
    edited June 2009
    make ur own! http://www.winamp.com/remote logi and play your music from your house as long as Internet works...this is awesome
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, sounds good, but with this one you still are tied to a pc or at least to an internet connection, which I am trying avoid.