Help! Can't access websites

craving_jinxcraving_jinx Calgary, AB, Canada
edited May 2009 in Internet & Media
Hey guys

I've been having some serious issues with my laptop lately...HP Pavilion dv5000 running XP. Everything was working fine up until I downloaded an updated for msn messenger and my laptop hasn't worked right since.

The biggest issue right now is that I can't access webpages at all. I have a connection both on wireless, and a wired connection and get the same results with both. There's also another laptop and a desktop on the same internet connection and neither of them have this issue. I get the "this webpage cannot be displayed" error messages on both IE and firefox. I thought it might be firefox that was corrupted due to the fact that everytime I tried to open IE it would just open FF so I uninstalled FF, which also removed IE. I reinstalled IE using my XP disc but it still isn't working. I have Norton running and it doesn't come up with any virus's so I really don't know what the issue is. I ran the network diagnostics for xp and got this:

Last diagnostic run time: 05/20/09 00:14:06 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.
info Redirecting user to support call

DNS Client Diagnostic
DNS - Not a home user scenario
info Using Web Proxy: no
info Resolving name ok for (www.microsoft.com): yes
No DNS servers
DNS failure

Gateway Diagnostic
Gateway
info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Disabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy Bypass list:
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.1.254
info This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.1.67
info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies)
info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies)
info TCP port 80 on host 65.55.21.250 was successfully reached
info The Internet host www.microsoft.com was successfully reached
info The default gateway is OK

IP Layer Diagnostic
Corrupted IP routing table
info The default route is valid
info The loopback route is valid
info The local host route is valid
info The local subnet route is valid
Invalid ARP cache entries
action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
Invalid IP address
info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.1.67

Wireless Diagnostic
Wireless - Service disabled
Wireless - User SSID
action User input required: Specify network name or SSID
Wireless - First time setup
info The Wireless Network name (SSID) to which the user would like to connect = kristan.
Wireless - Radio off
info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.1.67
Wireless - Out of range
Wireless - Hardware issue
Wireless - Novice user
Wireless - Ad-hoc network
Wireless - Less preferred
Wireless - 802.1x enabled
Wireless - Configuration mismatch
Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status
info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection
info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification
info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection, Device=Broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
info Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection
action User input required: Select network connection
info Wireless connection selected
Network adapter status
info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

I really really really don't want to have to reformat my laptop because I don't have the discs for drivers or half the programs I have on it so I am really hoping there's another way around this.

Any suggestions?

EDIT** Also tried doing a system restore...wouldn't even open the help menu. I found a different way of accessing the system restore but it wont restore to any of the restore points in the system.

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I uninstalled FF, which also removed IE
    Whoa, something is completely messed up. Firefox has absolutely nothing to do with IE. If IE was gone after uninstalling Firefox, you have deeper issues than a networking problem. That said, I'll just ignore it in the hopes you're somehow mistaken.

Does it say your ethernet cable is disconnected?

Is the light on your ethernet card blinking?

Can you ping websites? (Start -> Run -> 'cmd' -> 'ping icrontic.com')
  • craving_jinxcraving_jinx Calgary, AB, Canada
    edited May 2009
    It's quite possible that I'm wrong...I"m not the most tech savvy person lol

Network connections says that I'm connected to the internet both when I try to connect via wireless network as well as when I plug in an ethernet cord.

I'm going to assume that I"m able to ping websites...this is what I get when I do the command you gave:

Pinging icrontic.com [209.124.56.70] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.124.56.70: bytes=32 time=97ms TTL=54
    Reply from 209.124.56.70: bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=54
    Reply from 209.124.56.70: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=54
    Reply from 209.124.56.70: bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 209.124.56.70:
    Packets: sent =4, Recieved =4, Lost =0 <0% loss>,
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum=95ms, Maximum = 97ms, Average = 95 ms

As for blinking ethernet card, I'm not sure where to even begin looking for that. There's no blinking lights along the side of the laptop and only one on the front beside the light that tells me the computer has power that flickers on and off occasionally.

:(
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    If you're pinging websites, there's nothing physically wrong with your computer or network. It's definitely something wrong in Windows or your browsers.

If this were my computer, I'd reformat at this stage, especially with the other weird issues you describe and system restore failing.

You obviously have Internet through another computer, so use that to Google and download all the drivers you need before reformatting (or at least the driver for your network card so you can get the rest afterward). Use the vendors' websites wherever possible (e.g. Dell.com, etc). If you don't have an external drive for backups, get one now and get your bookmarks, email, documents, and media onto it. You should have one for backups anyway (it's akin to driving around without a spare tire).

If you don't have discs for all your apps, that's also a good thing to invest some time into anyway (or the $ to get legal copies if that's the issue).

As an aside, that flickering light is for hard drive activity. The Ethernet light is usually right where the Ethernet cable plugs in.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Go to start > run > cmd > type: ipconfig /all

Show the output here please.
    edited May 2009
    This is what I got with the ipconfig/all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : owner-32203c9cb
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
    ernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-C2-DE-76
    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-2C-72-41
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.67
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : May 21, 2009 12:44:32 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : May 22, 2009 12:44:32 PM
    edited May 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    If you don't have discs for all your apps, that's also a good thing to invest some time into anyway (or the $ to get legal copies if that's the issue).

The problem is that I got the laptop second hand and didn't get any of the original discs with it. I do have a windows disc that I could use but I'm not sure that it's a legal copy. I also have the entire Adobe CS3 suite on the laptop and no disc for it anymore due to it being lost in a move and that's another huge reason why I would vastly prefer to not have to reformat if at all possible. What a pain lol
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Ok.. everything looks right there.

Is this only when you open IE/FF you get this message or even after the program is open, you can't go to even google?

Navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

There will be a file called hosts (with no extension) You can right click and open it in Notepad.

There should be a bunch of lines with # preceding them and then the only line without the # should be:

127.0.0.1 localhost.

Is that the case?
    edited May 2009
    It happens everytime I open the program and anytime I try to go to webpage. It doesn't matter what URL i type in, it gives me the same message. it says "internet explorer cannot display the webpage" then gives a list of most ikely causes which include "you are not connected to the internet", "the website is encountering problems", and "there might be a typing error in the address". It also gives a "more information" section which includes more reaons why it may not be working such as DNS being unreachable.

If it helps at all, I can't log in to windows live messenger either...The message I get says "we can't sign you in to windows live messenger. your contact list is not available right now please try again later."
    when I click on "show details" is gives me error code 80072ee7
    when i click on the "get more information" link nothing happens.

And when I go to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and open the file everything is as you said it should be.