Time for a new card.

NemikanNemikan Icrontian
edited May 2009 in Hardware
Current card issues: http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82968

This has been getting worse and worse... crashin mai games.... a few blue screens.... the normal "O NOES" stuff. So time to get a new one. I'm wanting to avoid the nvidea 8000 series since it seems like those drivers tend to be the main source of the problem.... maybe the card itself I am unsure.

Basically, suggestions on cards before I do my own research? Price range is $100-$200
Heres what Tom's says: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2296-3.html

Game wise, TF 2, L4D, Demigod, as of now.. thats about it.

As of right now, looking at the Geforce GTX 260.

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    4870 or the GTX 260/280.

The GeForce 8000-series is a fine GPU with fine drivers. Nothing wrong with it. Not sure where you read such misinformation.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I have a 260 GTX, I've very happy with it, it is running everything I throw at it, fan picks up and gets nice and loud after hours of intense gaming which makes me very happy, I'm very pleased. But to tell you the truth, I always ask myself "what if" I spent the extra $50-60 to get a 275 GTX or a 4890 instead.

In price and in performance (May 2009) you'll typically see:
    260 <= 4870 while the 4890 <= 275. In my opinion, the 4890 and 275 are pretty much at the "sweet spot" when it comes to price/performance. 3DMark graphic scores for the 260/4870 ranges in the 8,200-8,800 while the 4890/275 ranges in the 10,000-11,300 respectively.

Honestly, you won't go wrong with any of them. Stay within your budget and its almost user preference. Basically, which card ships with a better game? That might be a better discussion. You could get Cryostasis for free if you get an EVGA in addition to whatever is bundled. Or you might be offended by the heatsink/fan graphics on the BFG, okay, then get the 4870.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    May I suggest that you use the Icrontic Marketplace to shop for your card? You can enter a card model and get comparison prices for a variety of vendors.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    IMO they are all good cards, it's just a matter of personal pref at the end of the day.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    4870 or the GTX 260/280.

The GeForce 8000-series is a fine GPU with fine drivers. Nothing wrong with it. Not sure where you read such misinformation.

Its mostly what the blue screens have been telling me..... nv4_disp, as well as about 3-4 friends having their 8800 GT die on them. And for reference, I have already reformatted, I am updated to the newest driver (none of them have seemed to work so far).

I don't know for sure if its the driver, and in all reality it probably isn't. But its something thats best to avoid, since I'm currently having problems with on, especially since I can upgrade to a better card.

The other "chance" is it would be something with my motherboard.... But then I should be having other issues, so I'm assuming it has to be my video card. Especially that the main thing being messed up is textures.
  • edited May 2009
    Nemikan wrote:
    Its mostly what the blue screens have been telling me..... nv4_disp, as well as about 3-4 friends having their 8800 GT die on them. And for reference, I have already reformatted, I am updated to the newest driver (none of them have seemed to work so far).

I don't know for sure if its the driver, and in all reality it probably isn't. But its something thats best to avoid, since I'm currently having problems with on, especially since I can upgrade to a better card.

The other "chance" is it would be something with my motherboard.... But then I should be having other issues, so I'm assuming it has to be my video card. Especially that the main thing being messed up is textures.

Have you checked the cooler on your current video card, i.e. fan speed and dust bunnies? You might even try reinstalling the cooler with a fresh layer of thermal paste. I have a HD4850 (voltmodded+AC Accelero S1) running at 850/1200, I need to blow out the dust every 1-2 months to keep the card stable. You are probably not overclocking but many graphics cards come with barely adequate default coolers.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134035 Is the card, with the giant heatsink, which at the time was suppose to be rated as one of the better ones out there. It did come with two little fans on the heatsink which I am not using, but even so my video card does not seem to be overheating, as I can tell by touching / feeling the heat output from the card when the problems are occurring. Its also not overclocked at all.