Windows restart infinite loop.

halo2_godhalo2_god New York state
edited June 2009 in Spyware & Virus Removal
Hello, I'm using an alternative machine to write this report.
windows 2000 professional. (infected machine)

Moving on to my problem, I recently stumbled upon a notebook that was badly infected after coming back from china i saw it laying around some friends house and i asked them if it worked they said it was infected

I said I might be able to fix it. So i charged it for 10 minutes then turned it on while on AC if i need to unplug it i would have a little bit of a charge.

When I booted it up i noticed an annoying pop-up (fake windows error). I easily ended the process tree 10 minutes later the process was running again, I figured it was a scheduled task. There where many problems and i couldn't connect to the internet to download proper software so.

On the machine I'm reporting to you on on I decided to burn a copy of avira boot disk to a blank CD and run it off of a externally connected cd drive (on the infected system). The infected laptop booted off the cd and ran correctly, then it scanned and cleaned everything apparently. But i noticed that it was renaming everything it couldn't remove, the malware must have injected it's self into a .dll needed to run windows professional. It must have renamed files needed to run windows 2000 professional. :(

What could I do to fix this? I figured that if I made some form of a rescue CD that might upload all the original dll's it would work.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    the malware must have injected it's self into a .dll needed to run windows professional
    That sounds like a file infector.
    The only option is a reformat.
  • halo2_godhalo2_god New York state
    edited June 2009
    Would it be possible to restore the drivers/dll's with a win2kp installation disk or a win2k disk?
  • edited June 2009
    It's technically possible, but where file infector's are concerned it is very difficult to completely remove them without a reformat.
    It only takes one file to survive and you are back to square one.
  • halo2_godhalo2_god New York state
    edited June 2009
    This virus is about 2 years old I'm pretty sure avira would be able to find all infections older than 1 year. Also would a win2k disk work with a win2k pro machine(when i say "work" i mean be able to reload the infected drivers, and dll's.)?
  • edited June 2009
    halo2_god wrote:
    1) I'm pretty sure avira would be able to find all infections
    2) would a win2k disk work with a win2k pro machine?

1) Your choice :p
    2) Should do.