Display Issues

NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Hardware
Windows 7 has suddenly decided it no longer wants to show video on a new monitor I picked up the other day. Samsung T240HD worked fine yesterday, but no longer displays video.

The screen shows BIOS, shows Starting Windows, but does not show the Logon screen. Once Windows actually loads, the display goes black.

I've tried starting the computer without any DVI's plugged into the videocard (HD4800 series) and I've tried uninstalling the display adapter in device manager. Neither fixed the problem. It seems like the display settings themselves need to be deleted, but I'm not sure how I do that.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    have you tried:

1) boot with both monitors on
    2) switch the primary monitor to the one you want to keep
    3) unplug monitor 2
    4) reboot?
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    1) Yes
    2) Windows no longer finds the second monitor. When I click detect "Another display not detected" pops up without any options.
    3) Yes
    4) Yes
    edited June 2009
    I think the monitor may be operating out of range. I'd love to be able to change it, but I can't because windows no longer finds the display.

Is there some .ini floating around someplace that might allow me to change this?
  • SoundySoundy Pitt Meadows, BC
    edited June 2009
    Does Windows 7 give you a way to "Boot in VGA mode", like 2K/XP?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    If you plug both monitors in and you can see picture, when you right click to get to your display properties, do you see both monitors active in the Settings tab? If you extend your desktop to it, does the desktop show up? If you can't, or it's already extended, click the other monitor and alter its settings from there.

Safe mode might also help, as Soundy mentions. If picture shows up on both in Safe Mode, you might be able to adjust settings from there.
    edited June 2009
    If I plug both monitors in, I see image on only the w2207, not the 240HD. The 2207 shows as monitor 1, the 240 shows as monitor 2. If I try to adjust settings on the 240, nothing happens. If I try to fix the settings by clicking 'detect', a third display titled "another display not detected" pops up - no adjustments can be made to this display.

If I attempt to make any setting changes on the 240, nothing happens. I've tried to adjust resolution and refresh rate (default setting for both monitors is 59hz, which will not change no matter how hard I try to 60hz).

Booting to safe mode shows video. I've tried making changes from there, but at that point, being safe mode, there is only 1 option for a generic default monitor - i.e. no way to change individual settings for the 240HD.

WTF is going on?
    edited June 2009
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    1) If you plug the 240D in as the primary monitor (only monitor connected) does it work fine?

2) While this monitor is plugged in, delete all other monitors under "Monitors" in device manager (go to "View" > Show hidden devices to make sure there is only 1 monitor).

3) With PC Running, connect 2nd monitor to other DVI output.

4) What is max res on the card and on the monitors?
    edited June 2009
    1) No, no display

2) Done, only monitor is the 240(analog).

3) This is what I've been doing just to use the computer.

4) 1920x1200 for the t240, 1680 x 1050 for the w2207. Card's a 4850, so 2560 x 1600.

The display worked fine the first two days I had it when using the digital connection. I'm convinced the screensaver (or more likely turning back on after 'sleeping') somehow messed it up. I was using the computer, took a nap, wiggled the mouse upon waking up (giggity) and that's when the problems started. It wouldn't display an image.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    240D is bad.. needs fixing/warranty/replace.

If it is the only display connected and you get nothing, then it is broke.
    edited June 2009
    Took display to a friend's house to try it there. She works fine.

Reinstall of Windows is in order, apparently.
  • MidnightFlairMidnightFlair Washington
    edited June 2009
    Have you tried adding a PCI Video card and used it to try to work out your issues. might work if you have one lying around.
  • edited June 2009
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Took display to a friend's house to try it there. She works fine.

Reinstall of Windows is in order, apparently.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling catalyst before you go too far.
    amd(dot)com dirivers download and make sure you install [EMAIL="fold@home"]fold@home[/EMAIL] with it.:rockon:
    edited June 2009
    An update:

After reformatting and reinstalling W7 I still encountered the same problem. However, this time the SyncMaster was properly detected as a secondary monitor after hooking the w2007 up. No image, but it was at least being recognized by W7 as the secondary monitor. Knowing that, I went into device manager and deleted both displays on the offchance that some weird setting just wasn't getting reset.

I detached both monitors from the videocard, then plugged the SyncMaster back in. The display was detected and properly set up right away.

I still have no idea what was causing it, but we'll see how long this fix works.
    edited June 2009
    Tried running the system with both monitors plugged in and now I'm back to square one - display on the HP, but not on the SyncMaster.

I was able to get the display up on the SyncMaster through a series of swapping dvi ports, though. However I tried to see if I could get both screens to display an image again once I'd gotten the SyncMaster up again. I couldn't, which that ended that bit of luck.

This is a really weird problem...
  • edited June 2009
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Tried running the system with both monitors plugged in and now I'm back to square one - display on the HP, but not on the SyncMaster.

I was able to get the display up on the SyncMaster through a series of swapping dvi ports, though. However I tried to see if I could get both screens to display an image again once I'd gotten the SyncMaster up again. I couldn't, which that ended that bit of luck.

This is a really weird problem...

Have you tried gong to amd.com and checking for the driver updates?
    edited July 2009
    Just a quick update, moved back down to WinXP and all's well. Not entirely sure what it was, but I'll chalk it up to something quirky with the RC I was using.