Problems with new RAID 1

edited June 2009 in Hardware
Hi guys,
I recently got an older Compaq (and HP..?) ProLiant ML310 server from my parents work and i wanted to set up a home server. It looks like whoever was using it before me was running a 80G and a 40GB IDE RAID 1. I thought this was kinda a waste, so went out and grabbed an identical 80GB (same brand, same cache, same everything). Now I try to create a RAID the old 80GB still shows up as 40G. I've tried destroying the RAIDS and then reformatting the drive but it still shows up as 40GB in the RAID setup. Any ideas? This is my first RAID build so bare with me :D.

I believe the RAID controller is MegaRAID IDE and its an onboard controller.
HDDs are WD 80GB IDE

Thanks!

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2009
    does the new 80gb drive show up as an available drive and if so is it showing up correctly?
  • edited June 2009
    The new drive shows up as 80GB. I installed a third 40GB drive (not in the RAID) and installed Xubuntu on it and tried to tried to format both the 80GBs to linux format. The new one formatted perfect but the old one gave me a strange error (even though it shows up as a 80GB drive in fdisk, and still in 40GB in the RAID configuration). I'm starting to think maybe the drive is bad? Thoughts?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2009
    I'm thinking that, that drive may be messed up. Did you try fdisk'ing the drive to just get rid of any partition information at all on it?