IC Gaming roundtable - Pre-E3 show thoughts

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited June 2009 in Gaming

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Nice video. I think you guys should keep up the video content, its going to add to the personality of the site.

One thing I will comment on. Beyond Good and Evil, being the amazing financial disappointment it was to Ubisoft, its surprising to me that they are even considering a sequel. Cut Ubisoft a little slack, sure, we are hard core fanboys that know a good game when we see it, but the reality is this, Beyond Good and Evil 2 is exactly that, its fanboy service, frankly, I am amazed a sequel is even happening considering that many call Beyond Good and Evil the best game, that nobody has played. My prediction, Beyond Good and Evil 2 will be an amazing game, meet great critical acclaim, and experience miserable sales as a unjust reward. I don't know why, not sexy enough, not violent enough, for whatever reason, its not that marketable, and Ubisoft knows it, and they are going to give it to us anyway.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Awesome Brian you look Awesome! Also I love the vids
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    More vids like this plz.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    More vids like this plz.

But we live 200 miles apart :(

But it does beg the question, would you guys like to see more video content of topical discussions like this? Even if it were achieved remotely? Almost a podcast fashion, I'm sure we could figure out a way to do it.

Perhaps I start planning on regluar trips to ICHQ to shoot some discussion video....

I'm trying to discover the scope for video content on Icrontic, so the more feedback everyone gets on what they'd like to see, the better.

**Cliff - BGE2 is only being made because of Michael Ancel. Ubisoft put him through the ringer of two raving rabbids games, king kong, and one other release (can't remember at the moment). He mentioned a long time ago that he never really stopped working on BGE, always working on the writing and such, and wouldn't let it rest to Ubi until they greenlit a sequel.

It was planned as a trilogy, and Ubisoft is -supposed- to own up to that claim. If they make it to part three is yet to be seen.

We followed Ancel's moves constantly when I was a big player in the BGE forums years ago. He never lost passion for it, BGE was truly his baby post-Rayman. Without Ancel's determination, I'm sure we wouldn't see a sequel.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    You could do a split screen discussion. Have prime on top, lynx on the bottom with a / down the center. Could be cool....and wouldn't matter that your remote!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    We had planned to do a response video each night of E3, and even get some opinions from the other three guys in the rrom (Only Brian and Bobby had been invited to anything on day 0, that's why the rest of us kept quiet.) Unfortunately, we were so tired, and so frustrated by lack of internet connection each night that we never remembered to actually record any further videos. Next E3, we'll find some way to make certain that we remember.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Do it ESPN's "Around the horn." I don't know if its on anymore, but that might be a format that would work.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Oh, it's still on.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Butters wrote:
    Do it ESPN's "Around the horn." I don't know if its on anymore, but that might be a format that would work.

That is a cool coincidence. I was just telling the guys about doing it PTI, Around the Horn style. I think it might be an interesting experiment for Epic.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I disagree about Assassin's Creed. I loved the first one, one of my top 5 games of all time and I can't wait for the second one.
    edited June 2009
    CB wrote:
    We had planned to do a response video each night of E3, and even get some opinions from the other three guys in the rrom (Only Brian and Bobby had been invited to anything on day 0, that's why the rest of us kept quiet.) Unfortunately, we were so tired, and so frustrated by lack of internet connection each night that we never remembered to actually record any further videos. Next E3, we'll find some way to make certain that we remember.

Our lack of solid internet connection at both the hotel room and press lounge, coupled with vimeo borking our account, crippled our initiative and ability to shoot more of these.

Pisses me off, especially the Vimeo bit. We had so much more discussion-based content planned, and we just couldn't get around to it.

Viddler's been great so far, here's to hoping they continue to roll with us.

//Around the horn style would be AWESOME. Now if I could just figure out the logistics behind such a thing. Most of us have webcams (most built-in to our laptops) so it's just a matter of syncing multiple video connections.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited June 2009
    Well, I'm the guy who never played BGE but the footage released earlier looked awesome and I'm going to play through the first one soon given how much you guys love it.

It seems like Ubi had some great stuff to show and they just did it terribly (cough*xbox360natal*cough). Splinter Cell looks great, makes me want to play it and I never went gaga over the older ones. Red Steel 2 looks interesting if it controls well, we'll see I guess.

However, you guys are dead wrong on Assassin's Creed 2. The first game had flaws, no question about it, but despite that it was top three games last year and 2 looks even better. AS2 is definitely one the the games I'm most excited about post E3 and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

And good lord that Digic produced cinematic is one of the single greatest cinematics I've ever seen, head to head with Blur's Star Wars one. Amazing work!

On the topic of video, I loved this piece and I really think it adds a new dimension to Icrontic, anyway to continue that forward sounds great. I don't know if I like the grid of webcam squares setup but a quick edit back and forth seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do and look pretty classy.
    edited June 2009
    Part of the reason why I wasn't impressed with AC2 was because at the time of the recording of this discussion, all Ubi had shown us was a pre-rendered cinematic. While very nice looking, it help no indication of the quality of the actual game.

I did notice from footage I saw later that the combat mechanics are more or less unchanged, i.e. one-at-a-time attacks from many attackers. I dunno, that bugged the crap out of me about the first one.

I also never really got into the first one at all. It's ridiculous delay on PC squelched any enthusiasm I had for it.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    The game I'm most excited about post E3, that no one seems to be talking about, is Scribblenauts. It looks like it has hours of gameplay on one level just being creative. Shame you guys couldn't get to it.

Despite the faults of AC I'm still excited for AC2, smarter AI well greatly improve the gameplay, also double assassinations will be pro.
    edited June 2009
    Lynx, I'm hoping that gets fixed before they release it, I agree that was a major flaw and it made the game way too easy. At very lease I hope they let you change the difficulty. I loved the combat system though, besides being easy and only taking on one guy at a time it felt so fluid and natural. Plus it was wonderfully brutal, especially when you fought with just your assassination blade out.

The other major flaw for me was too much emphasis on the flags and challenges and too little actual meaningful content.

That said, I still loved the game.

Koreish, seems like that game's getting a lot of press in other venues. Maybe it's too casual to have caught the interest here that much. Or maybe it's just that we all have terrible handwriting and this sounds like torture (speaking for myself...)

The game intrigues me with it's flexibility but I'm not sure I actually want to play it, I mostly just want to see people throw a dictionary at it for an hour or two before getting bored.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    Koreish, seems like that game's getting a lot of press in other venues.

Orly? I barely noticed it during IGN's E3 rundown. Maybe I'm just not observant.
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, seems like it got a lot of attention on some of the other communities I keep an eye on, I know Gamers with Jobs talked about it on their last podcast and it's gotten a decent amount of discussion over at CGTalk.