GPU Upgrade Question

ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
edited July 2009 in Hardware
I've had my 8600 GT for nearly 2 years and it was quite a step up from my X800XT from back in the day. Unfortunately, I'm not getting the video or folding performance I want and the easiest way to get results is to upgrade the GPU.

So, with a budget of $175, I hope to find a good mid spec video card (GTX 260, 4870 etc.) that does not suck a lot of juice because my PSU is only 300W max. Is it even possible to upgrade my GPU w/o a new PSU? This is a problem I've not thought of until just now. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    ^ Best suggestion that will ever hit this thread.
  • ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
    edited June 2009
    Does a 4770 give me a $175 performance boost over my 8600?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    you cant run any $175 video card on a 300 watt PSU.
    edited June 2009
    fatcat wrote:
    you cant run any $175 video card on a 300 watt PSU.

Very true.

This might not be worth the trouble. I can't just swap any PSU with the stock Dell part, right? Don't they use specific sizes that make upgrading almost impossible?
    edited June 2009
    Please provide the model # for your Dell and we can tell you.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Take us a picture of the inside of the case/PSU.. can tell you real easy.
    edited June 2009
    Maker is Bestec

Model ATX0300D5WB REV:X3

Will post a pic if you need more info.
    edited June 2009
    Sorry, The Dell is an Inspiron 531 desktop.
    edited June 2009
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    ^ Best suggestion that will ever hit this thread.

^^ THIS BTW I have that PSU for the money its amazing, Look what I am running off it in my sig with no issue whatsoever
    edited June 2009
    I found this open box item for a great price, so I was going to pair this with the PSU Gnome and Fatcat have suggested. This is my Father's Day present, so my wife is letting me splurge!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121316R
    edited June 2009
    The 260 is indeed quite a bit better.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    yea thats about the price I payed for me GTX260. the 260 is a very nice card and plays games well and will do 5000+ pts/day folding
  • NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
    edited June 2009
    To jack this thread for a minute... My computer recently fried and I'm rebuilding.

Same question as lebetter; whats the best video card (Phenom II X4 CPU) $175 limit, no PSU limitations,?
    edited June 2009
    Here is a good solution. Normally a $200 card.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130463

Or, if you can go just a few dollars more...Killer deal!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161276
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Heck id say a 4850 or 4870 for the price

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150394
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I just wanted to say, thanks for the tips everyone - especially fatcat. I've got a friend who's in a similar boat. He's got a PC with *shudder* integrated RAM-sharing graphics, and is wondering why his 3D gaming isn't so hot. He only has a 200W PSU and is on a huge budget. Sounds like what you suggested will help him out without killing the bank account.

Thanks again. =D
    Bandrik
  • Player2Player2 Wisconsin
    edited July 2009
    the performance of 4890's are astounding, simply fantastic cards for the price

I would go on about how much I love the 4890, but I noticed they cut the prices on 4850s and 4870's again, right now you really cant go wrong with ATI and the 4800 series
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    The choice basically comes down to this, in the end. You can get more bang for your hard-earned buck out of any ATI graphics card. However, ATI's current top end (the radeon HD 4890) is still only about equivalent to a geforce GTX 275. For maximum graphics performance and driver stability, you essentially have to have an nvidia configuration. Given that you're looking at a single-card setup on a low budget, my suggestion would definitely be ATI, and I wholeheartedly agree with whoever suggested the 4770. The card produces scores roughly on par with an HD4850, and it's VERY inexpensive. Should be a huge upgrade over your 8600.

Edit - I've done some quick research, and you may be able to get away with a 4770 on your current PSU... both the Geforce 8600 GT and the radeon HD 4770 consume about 185 watts when the GPU is fully loaded. 300w is very small, to be sure, but there's a decent chance you could put a 4770 in without upgrading it.

Second Edit - Naturally I only read the first few posts. Anyway, the point is the 4770 has a pretty decent chance of working normally even on a tiny PSU.