Terrible, awesome, unique, and fun: Dwarf Fortress

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    And with that, welcome Kevin to the writing staff of IC Gaming :)
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Haha, seems rather interesting. I do loves me some dwarves. I'll look into checking it out sometime that I have a lazy sunday.

Which is never. Hmm... Fiddlesticks.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    This game has AMAZING depth. The sheer possibilities are overwhelming. It took me about 4 new games before I felt like I had a handle on the game. The world maps you play on can all be generated, you can pick wherever you want to live, you can do so many different things.

Great writeup Kevin! :thumbsup:
  • edited June 2009
    I agree that DF is one of the, if not THE most daring game I ever played. player creativity practically rewards itself, and the game just generates story after story.
    however, I wouldn't say that useful balancing is impossible; it is absolutely POSIIBLE tp build a really well-balanced economy AND a useful military, while making all the little alcoholics happy at the same time. however, the motto of the game is "losig is fun", and so most DF-addicts will most likely make these perfect, but ultimately boring success fortresses more, ahm, interesting themselves. I remember building the most complex death-traps with the use of a tamed dragon and a series of labyrinthine corridors that really managed to terrify that goblin siege army. sadly, I was overrun the next season because I had forgotten to close the single last gap in my new and "improved" (= more grandiose) fortification, and so my military expected an attack from the gates while those lumbering trolls caused death and destruction three floors below, in the nobles' quarters. ah, good times.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited June 2009
    Dwarf Fortress scares me, and now I really want to try it. Great first post Kevin!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Great writeup Kevin.

I've sat on the fence about Dwarf Fortress for months. I've heard so many epic stories from cool battles to complete insane moments in this game. I've installed the game, but never loaded it up, it's visual style is intimidating.

The game's presentation commands the use of imagination, and that's part of why I like the idea so much. I'm ready to dig in, I need to stop being afraid of it.

Have you ever tried any tilesets with that game? I know there are tons of 'graphical' tile sets that help the player understand whats happening better, but I know many people just poke fun at those using the sets, claiming they're not hardcore enough.
    edited June 2009
    I use tilesets, it just makes the game less "messy" you have an actual dwarf looking thing instead of a weird colored ASCII symbol. That's really the only reason, I am used to ASCII in games like ADOM, it's just that the sheer number of different things represented graphically creates a mishmash of symbols that didn't make sense in my head.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    I use tilesets, it just makes the game less "messy" you have an actual dwarf looking thing instead of a weird colored ASCII symbol. That's really the only reason, I am used to ASCII in games like ADOM, it's just that the sheer number of different things represented graphically creates a mishmash of symbols that didn't make sense in my head.

That's always been my thoughts on it. I've played simpler ASCII games myself, years ago admittedly, but when you look at a DF map it's just absolute madness. I think a tileset would in the least allow me to jump into it easier.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited June 2009
    Tileset sounds good, very good, I've never even played an ASCII game before. I think I'll give it a go now that I know there's a noob graphics version.
    edited June 2009
    Also after you get more dwarfs (like upwards of 20), you will definitely want Dwarf Manager to keep from wasting all of your time just micromanaging your dwarfs. This tool is a MUST.
  • edited June 2009
    Hey, stupid dwarf tricks! I made that wiki page. I feel so proud.
  • Idiot_SlayerIdiot_Slayer Member
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I like the tiles, but on some of them when you get into the late game it rapes your framerate. I just started out on a new one and it seems to have fixed that problem though, and yes you do lose bragging rights.
    The one I use is here http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php
    edited June 2009
    Welcome to Icrontic, strangething :)
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Pssst, I don't think he's joined yet.
  • edited November 2010
    It's AWESOME I spend way to much time playing it. I love naming dwarves after friends and laughing at their horrible deaths while my character sits on his artifact bed counting stones.
  • You should've brought up the incredible depth and impact of the 'World generating process', its really a key feature to Dwarf Fortress. Not only does it randomly generate an unlimited amount of different worlds, but it also fills those with randomly generated civilizations, history, beasts and much more which results in a different playing experience whenever you start a new Fortress or just adventure through the world in roguelike fashion. (which you also didnt even mention)

Other than that, good article!
  • Some url are outdated.
    Wiki is now placed on http://www.dwarffortresswiki.org

Dwarf Manager is not exist longer. Use new utility Dwarf Therapist: http://code.google.com/r/splintermind-attributes/

The awesome stories and nice pictures placed on http://www.dfst.org
    Thanks for letting us know @urist :)

I can't believe I'm typing this, but: 2020 update: Dwarf Fortress is coming very soon to Steam, completely overhauled with graphics now.

mas0n
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

It's been on my wishlist for a while with "Time is relative" as its release date. I'm glad they are making progress. I'm really interested in Dwarf Fortress, but, despite my roots, I just can't into a screen full of ascii anymore.

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian

DF coming to steam's been an interesting change in the development. Tarn Adams has actually contracted out the development of the Steam version, which is a first in like thirteen years. He's famously possessive of his code and as far as I'm aware this is the first time he's ever shared it with anyone but his brother.

Playing the game's great as it's one of the best story generators I've ever stumbled across, but reading the stories that get produced by the community will always be more entertaining.

If you haven't seen it before, here's an artist's rendition of the history of Bronzemurder.

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian

DF on Steam?! I didn't see that coming AND with graphics?! I guess I won't need the LNP pack anymore

Interesting they added an adventure mode. Wonder what the price will be.