scsi -> sata drive

Dilbert-FirestormDilbert-Firestorm Nuclear Wasteland, Gretna, LA New
edited June 2009 in Hardware
My PC has a SCSI set up. One of my hard drives failed and had it sent off for recovery. The recovery outfit that recovered the data did not have replacement SCSI drives in stock, only SATA.

When I got it back, I was like Duh! I don't have a SATA controller and I forgot to send them the SCSI-SATA adapter.

so here's the question.

What is the effect of putting a SCSI-SATA adapter to the SATA hard drive with recovered data? Would it be readable?

Oh btw, the data is in HPFS format, its for OS/2 Warp. I guess I could get a sata controller and make the transfer but I don't know if there is a driver to allow it to run under OS/2.

I haven't been following OS/2-Ecomstation much since the drive died on me.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2009
    Are you sure you've got your terms right? I've never seen or heard of a scsi > sata adatper. You sure it's not ide to sata you are trying to use?
  • Dilbert-FirestormDilbert-Firestorm Nuclear Wasteland, Gretna, LA New
    edited June 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    Are you sure you've got your terms right? I've never seen or heard of a scsi > sata adatper. You sure it's not ide to sata you are trying to use?

there is such a beast as the scsi-sata adapter. i have one.
    edited June 2009
    Well if you have such an adapter and it's entirely hardware based then there shouldn't be any problems with reading a sata drive through it.

But I gotta ask. Why are you still running OS2/Warp? At the time it was technically better then windows...but those days are long past gone. Is this machine for some specific purpose?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Can you link the SCSI > SATA adaptor you use? I'm curious as well; I've never heard of such a thing
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    edited June 2009
    Nice find Prime.
  • Dilbert-FirestormDilbert-Firestorm Nuclear Wasteland, Gretna, LA New
    edited June 2009

that's the one! saved me the trouble looking it up for ya.

guess you learn something new, eh?