PC can't get past "Checking NVRAM"

1guylikeu1guylikeu St Pete, FL
edited June 2009 in Hardware
Hello! I hope I can get some help here. I have a PC that cannot get past the "Checking NVRAM". This started happening after my PC froze while I was using Nero and had IE open. I reset the computer, then it at first didn't want to detect my hard drive...and after the 2nd reset (first checking all connection inside pc) I get the NVRAM problem. I hope this is an easy fix. Any help would be appreciated a lot!! Let me know if there is any other information needed. Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Shut down the PC, pull the power plug, and consult your motherboard's manual on how to reset your BIOS.

Leave it unplugged with the CMOS/BIOS jumper switched to reset for about 10 minutes.

Before turning it all back on, pull all of your memory but 1 stick. If it boots, great! Shut it down and keep putting one more stick in with every boot until it starts seizing again. Toss the stick that made it start seizing.
  • 1guylikeu1guylikeu St Pete, FL
    edited June 2009
    Hmm..I will see what I can do. I'm pretty new at this and unfortunately do not have a manual. I bought the PC custom built about 3 years ago.....All I can get from it just by looking is MSI MS 6728 Ver 2....and looks like MSI doesn't have manuals online....just this.....sorry,...I just want to be sure to do the right thing....
    http://www.msicomputer.com/support/bios_result.asp?platform=Intel&model=865PE%20Neo2%20Series%20(MS-6728%20PCBv1)&newsearch=1
    edited June 2009
    I couldn't find more info online about the motherboard manual...so I pulled the plug, took out the battery and depressed the power button to drain all the power out to see if that could reset it since I couldn't see where to find a jumper to switch to reset (let me know if I am WRONG,...since I really tried to look for some sort of switch). I'm guessing I have an older motherboard...

After doing that I popped the battery in and plugged in the cord and powered up. Now all that shows up is the MSI CoreCell Logo...and doesn't boot past that. Anything else??:confused:

Thrax wrote:
    Shut down the PC, pull the power plug, and consult your motherboard's manual on how to reset your BIOS.

Leave it unplugged with the CMOS/BIOS jumper switched to reset for about 10 minutes.

Before turning it all back on, pull all of your memory but 1 stick. If it boots, great! Shut it down and keep putting one more stick in with every boot until it starts seizing again. Toss the stick that made it start seizing.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Well... you have managed to reset the BIOS at least. Now I'd go with the rest of Thrax's advice. Take out all but one ram stick and try booting. If it works, shut down and add more sticks one at a time til it freezes again then you'll know what ram module is causing the problem. Heck, sometimes just the act of taking the RAM out and reseating it can fix the problem. If your system only has one stick of RAM... well... try and track down another stick and swap it out for testing purposes.
    edited June 2009
    I actually had an idea that the battery was to blame so I went and bought replacements and WAH LAA!! I setup the defaults and all is fine now with that...now to figure out why I can't make DVD's with Nero or Windows software.... :) Thanks guys for your help!
    ardichoke wrote:
    Well... you have managed to reset the BIOS at least. Now I'd go with the rest of Thrax's advice. Take out all but one ram stick and try booting. If it works, shut down and add more sticks one at a time til it freezes again then you'll know what ram module is causing the problem. Heck, sometimes just the act of taking the RAM out and reseating it can fix the problem. If your system only has one stick of RAM... well... try and track down another stick and swap it out for testing purposes.