Monitor Problems

edited June 2009 in Hardware
Hi, guys. Long time lurker here. First, I have to say that I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to this stuff (that's why I've been reading the forum), so I apologize if I'm missing something obvious.

I have a dual monitor setup that utilizes two 19" monitors with 1280x1024 resolution. I'm using a new Diamond BV200 S9250 128MB video card and, according to the DirectX diagnostic tool, that is what is currently active. My computer is an EMachines T6410 with a 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor and 2MB of RAM.

When I drag a folder/IE browser across the screen, it goes from point A to point B in 3-4 choppy motions several seconds behind the mouse. The same thing happens when I try to scroll through a webpage. When I type something into a text field, each letter pops up at a rate of about one per second. In other words, if it takes me 5 seconds to type a sentence, it could take 30 seconds for all the letters to show up. I've tried searching for possible conflicts between my video card and processor, but I've yet to find anything. I have a hard time imagining that 2GB of RAM isn't enough. I'm not doing any gaming or anything, I just have this setup to display stock charts.

Needless to say, this is extremely frustrating. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, guys.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Do you have the requisite drivers for the card? Lots of times the default graphics driver will do exactly what you're talking about.

Update the drivers (or check that you're using the most current ones from Diamond's site) and see if that helps after a reboot.
  • edited June 2009
    Snarkasm,

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the latest Driver from Diamond's website, only to get the message "setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system" when trying to install it. I did a quick Google search on it and found that several other people have had this problem with ATI cards. Any ideas?

Thanks again.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I'd suggest that you get drivers directly from ATI... usually the manufacturers drivers are simply rebranded ATI drivers that are a few releases behind.

http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    I'd suggest that you get drivers directly from ATI... usually the manufacturers drivers are simply rebranded ATI drivers that are a few releases behind.

http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

I 2nd this, without a doubt. Often the ones one the partner site have added bloat in the form of tweaks, or UI, or features that just complicate the driver ATI worked at. Just go get them from the GameAMD site and you will be good to go.