ripping dvd

IKoNIKoN Chicago
edited June 2009 in Hardware
when i rip dvds using ahead dvd ripper it takes like 35 hours to complete ripping there is gotta be something wrong here any one got any suggestions for dvd rom i got the latest from LG super multi :rockon:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Your DVD-ROM's firmware has a rip lock which limits rip speed to a very low multiplier; you'll have to find hacked firmware.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Wow... I wasn't even aware that they did that. What a load of bull, you're supposed to be able to make a backup copy of any DVD you purchase legally under current copyright law. Thrax, you aware of any sites that have a list of devices with these rip locks?
    edited June 2009
    The fair use single backup is actually an urban legend. Ripping a DVD removes the CSS encryption which violates the DMCA's anti-circumvention clause. It's truly illegal, one copy or 30.

The easiest way to find firmware is to google your burner's model and add +hacked firmware.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Hm.... interesting. Oh well, not going to stop me from ripping my DVDs though. They are too easy to damage and I'm not going to rebuy it just because they disc deteriorates. I kinda doubt my drive has a rip lock on it anyway. Lite-On seems to be more consumer friendly than corporation friendly.
    edited June 2009
    Some have it, some don't. An easy rule of thumb is this: If the drive takes longer than about 20 minutes, it probably has a rip lock.