Help me connect!!

AirCanuckAirCanuck London, Ontario New
edited June 2009 in Gaming
Can't get my Xbox live to connect.

I live in an apartment building which has a provided internet server. To go online on a laptop, you connect to the wireless, then when you open your browser you login through a webpage. Anyone know how to get online with an Xbox with this type of system?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Do you have a desktop, or is your laptop wireless? You can log in through the laptop and then share your internet connection through an extra ethernet port to the 360. If they're requesting a login every time you plug in the computer, I'm not sure what else you can do.

If it's based on MAC filtering, you can set up your 360 to spoof another MAC address of your choosing - in other words, if your laptop can access the internet, you can find its MAC address (using ipconfig or similar) and plug it into the 360's network settings, and it'll use that to access the net. If you have to log in multiple times, though, that won't help. You'll probably need to use sharing in that case.
  • AirCanuckAirCanuck London, Ontario New
    edited June 2009
    so what... I connect the ethernet cable to the xbox and the laptop?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Correct. Then find your wireless network connection and "share" it with the ethernet connection. The xbox should be able to retrieve an IP from the laptop and access the net connection.

You should be able to find tutorials on the net to walk you more specifically through the process of sharing a connection between wireless and ethernet.
    edited June 2009
    so far, no dice. I am trying various help options but none of them have worked so far...<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    While this is highly OS dependent, here's how exactly to set up connection sharing in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

If you have a different version of Windows, just google for Internet Connection Sharing Windows Vista or whatever version you are using. Also, you might need a crossover cable or a hub/switch in between the computer and the XBox360. Straight through Ethernet cables from one device to another tend to not work.
    edited June 2009
    I cracked it.

Best page is this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/SY4ZG3UFHDTJ3PO/

Might even want to make this a sticky. SLIGHT different in what he says to do:

I only added the local area connection to the bridge. I then right clicked on my wireless network, went to properties, and sharing. I clicked to allow it to share and then had to choose a private network - I picked the bridge, et voila. Only took an hour or two to figure out.