Bios does not detect hard drive!

LucindaLucinda Brownsville, Pa.
edited July 2009 in Hardware
Hi! Just built this puter and evetrything was fine and then one day when I got out of bed and turned it on I got this error message: system disk error please insert disk and try again, however bios does not detect hard drive.

GA-MA790GP-UD4H motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
4GB Memory PC8500 DDR2 1066mhz
Ultra 650 Watt Power Supply

Thinking it may be the hard drive, any ideas?

I get a single beep if the hard drive is not plugged in. After plugging in hard drive no beeps.:rolleyes:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Replace the drive cable, swap the drive to another port. If those fail, it's a dead disk.
  • LucindaLucinda Brownsville, Pa.
    edited June 2009
    Sorry, forgot to mention hard drive is:

Seagate 750gb Serial ATA 7200/32mb/SATA-3G
  • LucindaLucinda Brownsville, Pa.
    edited June 2009
    Tried that, no luck! Guess I will be calling Seagate, just purchased this in 02/09.

Thanks for all you help, I do appreciate it! I have been using my grandson's computer for work. I do customer service from home and his computer is older and is too slow for all my work applications.
  • edited July 2009
    Lucinda wrote:
    Sorry, forgot to mention hard drive is:

Seagate 750gb Serial ATA 7200/32mb/SATA-3G

Wow I have the exact same issue going on, currently I have 2 drives a primary 250gb Samsung which is my system drive and I have a storage drive Seagate 750gb Serial ATA (Exact same one you described) I also purchased it 2/09 from Tiger Direct. The Seagate drive has worked perfect until a couple of days ago when suddenly it quit being detected by BIOS, if the drive is left plugged in it takes quite sometime for the PC to boot, whereas if it disconnected the pc boots at a normal rate. My primary drive is still being detected and working great, I tried the Seagate on a different P.C. and it is still not being detected, I have also tried swapping out SATA cables and have ruled those out as being an issue. This is my storage drive so I have years upon years of family photos, videos and also my music collection is on this drive. Any idea's?
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    either drive making noise? clicking, grinding ect?