AGP 8X - AMD vss. Intel

Dilbert-FirestormDilbert-Firestorm Nuclear Wasteland, Gretna, LA New
edited July 2009 in Hardware

I'm looking to upgrade my Pentium 3 1ghz AGP based system. (yeah, I
know pretty old)

Which mobo based CPU would be better to go with Amd or Intel?

I've looked at what AGP 8X based boards that I could find.

AMD AM2/Am2+

Asrock Alivedual-eSata2
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA
MSI K9MM-V
MSI K8M800

INTEL LGA 775
Asrock 775V88+
Asrock 4coredual-sata2
Asrock cor2dual
Foxconn 648X7M

would appreciate any tips on it.

btw, I'm aware of the issue with the AGP standard, so please don't rag
on me about moving on to the PCI-e o PCI-X thing.

This is for my OS/2 machine I already got the BFG Geforce 7300GT AGP
card. I got it when I thought the card was going bad, but it turned to
be the a minor problem with the monitor. A good whack on the Planar
monitor with a check book restored the color and resolution.

I am going to be building a new machine that will be on the PCI-E/PCI-X
platform. Ir ia going to be Windows based and for primarily playing
games. Just don't know what CPU the mobo will be running on. That is
dependent on what cpu is chosen for the OS/2 machine.

what I'd like to have is both Intel & AMD based systems.

That is in addition to the laptop I'm getting rather soon.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    First of all, Pentium 1GHz is fine For running OS2, don't upgrade. If you want to play with new hardware and do not want to buy new graphics card, I recommend an AMD 790GX AM3/AM2+ motherboard with integrated graphics which will give you pretty good DX10 graphics capability comparable with your 7300GT. This will enable building a modern system without wasting money (and time) on outdated/subpar components.

PS: OS2 will probably have compatibility/driver problems with the new hardware.
  • edited July 2009
    mirage wrote:
    First of all, Pentium 1GHz is fine For running OS2, don't upgrade. If you want to play with new hardware and do not want to buy new graphics card, I recommend an AMD 790GX AM3/AM2+ motherboard with integrated graphics which will give you pretty good DX10 graphics capability comparable with your 7300GT. This will enable building a modern system without wasting money (and time) on outdated/subpar components.

PS: OS2 will probably have compatibility/driver problems with the new hardware.

Agreed, or you could probably buy a $30-50 card that will increase your performance a ton. The last thing I would do when buying a motherboard is buy an outdated board. You're going to want to upgrade the hardware attached to it down the line and you aren't going to have the ports available.
  • Dilbert-FirestormDilbert-Firestorm Nuclear Wasteland, Gretna, LA New
    edited July 2009
    looks like I will be going with the Asrock 4coredual-sata 2 mobo.

working on the CPU. it looks like it'll be core2duo e7500/e7600 or Core2Quad Q6600 or Q6700
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    If those are your CPU choices, go with the Q6600. It's by far the best bang/buck performer of the four.
  • edited July 2009
    I had Asrock 4coredual and hated it. It has a 300FSB limit and its power circuit is not good enough to overclock a quad core. It can not overclock the Q6600 beyond 300 FSB (best case scenario) which will be 2.7GHz. Considering that Q6600 is close to $200 now, that is not a good option on that motherboard. If you insist with that motherboard, I would choose a CPU with 200FSB, like E5200 (E5300, E5400) which will probably go beyond 3.33 GHz (267x12.5).
  • edited July 2009
    You are moving from one dead end to another. Instead, get the followings (or similar) which will give you a huge upgrade potential in the following years.

BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 4MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor

I am out of all the 2 cents now :)
    edited July 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    If those are your CPU choices, go with the Q6600. It's by far the best bang/buck performer of the four.

Dunno about the Q6600 or even the Q6700 for that matter. I think that is a bit much for an OS/2 machine. :)

I'm going to go with the E7600 which does appear to work on this machine I'm going with.
    edited July 2009
    mirage wrote:
    You are moving from one dead end to another. Instead, get the followings (or similar) which will give you a huge upgrade potential in the following years.

BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 4MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor

I am out of all the 2 cents now :)

Is that a suitable suggestion for the 2nd machine?
    edited July 2009
    some of you are having what appears to be a reading comprehension problem. I've asked that that AGP issue not be brought up.
    on me about moving on to the PCI-e or PCI-X thing.

I do appreciate the thoughts on the AGP, but they are unwanted advice.

It's not my intention to upgrade this AGP system to PCIE, but to extend the life of the AGP systems.

I don't have any plans on OCing this board, asrock 4coredual-sata-r2.0 (considering that it'll be running the E7600 cpu) as I see that is a very poor OC board.

but if you want offer suggestions on the 2nd machine which will not be based on the AGP system, fire away!
    edited July 2009
    mirage wrote:
    I had Asrock 4coredual and hated it. It has a 300FSB limit and its power circuit is not good enough to overclock a quad core. It can not overclock the Q6600 beyond 300 FSB (best case scenario) which will be 2.7GHz. Considering that Q6600 is close to $200 now, that is not a good option on that motherboard. If you insist with that motherboard, I would choose a CPU with 200FSB, like E5200 (E5300, E5400) which will probably go beyond 3.33 GHz (267x12.5).

what type and make of DDR ram did you go with on this board?

I've no plans to OC it, but I may experiment with it during the initial setup to see what OC'ing is all about.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Edit button.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    If only we had our quote multiple button back, all of this might have been avoided...
  • edited July 2009
    Used standard Crucial DDR400.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2009

I'm looking to upgrade my Pentium 3 1ghz AGP based system. (yeah, I
    know pretty old)

Which mobo based CPU would be better to go with Amd or Intel?

I've looked at what AGP 8X based boards that I could find.

AMD AM2/Am2+

Asrock Alivedual-eSata2
    Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA
    MSI K9MM-V
    MSI K8M800

INTEL LGA 775
    Asrock 775V88+
    Asrock 4coredual-sata2
    Asrock cor2dual
    Foxconn 648X7M

would appreciate any tips on it.

on me about moving on to the PCI-e o PCI-X thing.

This is for my OS/2 machine I already got the BFG Geforce 7300GT AGP
    card. I got it when I thought the card was going bad, but it turned to
    be the a minor problem with the monitor. A good whack on the Planar
    monitor with a check book restored the color and resolution.

I am going to be building a new machine that will be on the PCI-E/PCI-X
    platform. Ir ia going to be Windows based and for primarily playing
    games. Just don't know what CPU the mobo will be running on. That is
    dependent on what cpu is chosen for the OS/2 machine.

what I'd like to have is both Intel & AMD based systems.

That is in addition to the laptop I'm getting rather soon.

What I would love to know is your upgrade budget. For what you would spend on a decent AGP card (at least $140), I honestly think you could buy a mobo, processor and PCIE card that are much better for less than $200 total.

What budget are you working with?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131161&Tpk=Radeon%20AGP%204670

Had no idea this existed until just now, but apparently PowerColor makes an ATI Radeon 4670 in an AGP based model.

Probably about as fine of an AGP solution as you will find for $119.

Still, I don't know, that processor is probably going to bottleneck it so hard its really hard to see the value in it, but for full disclosure, it is there and available.
    edited July 2009
    What I would love to know is your upgrade budget. For what you would spend on a decent AGP card (at least $140), I honestly think you could buy a mobo, processor and PCIE card that are much better for less than $200 total.

What budget are you working with?

its an open budget considering that I will be buying an MSI laptop for $1350 in addition to the AGP setup.
    edited July 2009