Whoops

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Folding@Home
With my frequent trips and OS reinstallations, not to mention Expo, I appear to have fallen off the bandwagon a little bit...

MJancaitis.PNG

But I'm happy to report that the MiniMonster is folding again, and I hope to possibly get another computer GPU folding soon as well. Apologies for the delay!

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    SLACKER!!!! ;D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Ugh, inexcusable!
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    ^. I did not drop out of the top 5 while at lan.:shakehead
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    And I didn't drop out of the top 17. What's your point?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    What's your point?
    How defensive you are whenever _k says something. :p
    edited July 2009
    But good job on getting things folding so shortly after the LAN. I saw last year how not everything came back after the event.
    edited July 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    How defensive you are whenever _k says something. :p

He attacked my honor! His little shaking head expressed such disapproval! I was shamed, I had to defend myself... :(
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I've been down to 3K PPD for months. :(

I think it's time Team 93 saw a resurgence.
  • makoa26makoa26 Las Vegas
    edited July 2009
    mas0n wrote:
    I've been down to 3K PPD for months. :(

I think it's time Team 93 saw a resurgence.

In a very bad way. We keep on sliding down the charts. I personally try to get as much points as I can, but when five teams are predicted to pass us in six months I feel like no one else cares. I realize that I'm not a very active member of these forums, but I want to see our team reclaim some spots.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I'm trying to do my share. F@H runs on my workstation, my laptop any time that it's plugged in and my desktop (right now I only have one instance running though... I should really get a 2nd instance running as well as a GPU instance).
    edited July 2009
    Or an SMP client, ardi. Are you running a dual-core or a quad?
    edited July 2009
    Athlon X2 Windsor. Thinking about going up to a Phenom II system but that will require a new motherboard and memory.
    edited July 2009
    makoa26 if we get our average back up 330k there are only 2 teams to overtake, they are over 50 million ahead of us. Other than that we need to almost double our output to start moving up very much. If we could get half of the active forum members to get a single CPU client running and keep it up it would be incredible but other than that it just takes money and time. So if you want to start a new folding program with seed money go for it.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited July 2009
    Thinking of getting a Phenom II X2 myself to push more power out of my 4870.
    edited July 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    If we could get half of the active forum members to get a single CPU client running and keep it up it would be incredible

That's exactly what kills me. A forum like this basically caters to gamers, certain IT types, and guys like me who are hardware enthusiasts. In any one of those cases those three basic types are likely to own or have access to some fairly nice equipment. What percentage of those types hasn't heard of F@H? What it boils down to in my opinion is that it's not the type of program that you ask "Why would you run that?", but more like "Why wouldn't you run that?"
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I'm part of that percentage. Or at least I don't fully understand what it is.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I was a hardcore folder for years; number two producer on the team for a very long time, one of the top 100 producers in the world for quite a while.

It all boils down to one thing: cost.

It is expensive to run modern computers at 100% CPU 24/7. I just simply can't afford it.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    That's one reason I haven't been folding at home for the last year. My roommate noticed the PC on 24/7 and complained about the electricity cost. Plus, the ambient temps in that room reach 100*F in the summer.

I recently moved my main rig to school, though, where the electricity and cooling are free*. It's not much, but I've got one SMP client running, now.

(*paid by Ohio tax dollars)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I have kept two boxes running full time folding.
    I don't mind the cost of the power.
    I do mind that it bugs my wife that I leave them running all of the time.I would like to build a new box, quieter, more efficient, and higher production.
    but in the current economy even those of us with good jobs aren't taking risks.
    Maybe in 6 months.
    edited July 2009
    This is why my workstation is the one doing most of my Folding... I don't pay the electricity at work! OOh! I should set Folding up on my colo server.... not like it's getting used for anything else at the moment anyway.
    edited July 2009
    I see the different situations here about money and especially heat (I live in Vegas and my is like an oven if I shut the door), but I feel that _k_ has a valid point there. The uni client is godawful stable, doesn't require any monitoring, and gives you well over a month to complete a WU. Systems that are powered down when not in use could still contribute in this way. Not everyone has the desire and/or funds to nurse a high performance client along, but every WU helps.
    edited July 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    I'm part of that percentage. Or at least I don't fully understand what it is.

Folding@Home is a project run by Stanford University to try to understand protein folding better. Proteins fold all the time and do it very quickly, but when they fold wrong, it can lead to some diseases. Here's the homepage http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Main but I think that this is a more informative page here http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Science
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I tried to install it but I don't think I "received" a protein. I've had it for 3days and I haven't folded once.
    edited July 2009
    make a new thread. Pull up the FahLog from the home folder and copy paste that in, should be something easy.