Powering a GTX 260...

QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Hardware
I was looking into newer graphics cards, because mine (two geforce 9600 gso's) perform pretty well on my monitor (which is very small), but problem is, they can't perform well on larger monitors, and I mean 19in+. So I was looking at new cards, to maybe get, and I started to like the gtx 260 superoverclocked edition. Powerful, but not something that's going to burn my wallet alive, like the gtx 295.

I have an Ultra LSP650 650 Watt PSU. On the 12+V Rail, there is 38A. The 260 Reccomends 36A. My question is that, do I have enough to play it when it is a peak performance? I know it should just run fine, but will I actually be able to use it to game and render? I really would like to get this card, considering I can get it for a great deal. :bigggrin: Thanks Icrontic!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I am running an EVGA GTX260 with Antec EA650 PSU with 45A (max total) on the 12V rails overclocked to 725/1450/1200 without any problems. Your PSU has a little low 12V amperage for 650W but it should still be fine at least at stock speeds.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    mirage wrote:
    I am running an EVGA GTX260 with Antec EA650 PSU with 45A (max total) on the 12V rails overclocked to 725/1450/1200 without any problems. Your PSU has a little low 12V amperage for 650W but it should still be fine at least at stock speeds.
    Haha yeah it is a little low. I wasn't really going to o/c it if I would purchase it, mainly because I just have horrible luck with everything. Haha.

Thanks a bunch! :bigggrin:
  • edited July 2009
    QuadWhore wrote:
    Haha yeah it is a little low. I wasn't really going to o/c it if I would purchase it, mainly because I just have horrible luck with everything. Haha.

Thanks a bunch! :bigggrin:

Hey hey, horrible luck ... fails at life, take it easy, okay :rockon:
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I am running a GX2 with your PSU, I have an OC of 650/1776/100. You won't have any problems.
    edited July 2009
    mirage wrote:
    Hey hey, horrible luck ... fails at life, take it easy, okay :rockon:
    I will I will. :cool: I'm always the person who's computer just instantaneously explodes, for absolutely no reason. :eek3:

And thanks K. :D
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I hate to be the doubter here... but I'm questioning why dual 9800s would have a problem pushing 19+" Monitors. I'm running a single 8600 here and it pushes my 22" LCD just fine... I can play most games at full resolution and maintain a good FPS. How are you defining poor performance here?
    edited July 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    I hate to be the doubter here... but I'm questioning why dual 9800s would have a problem pushing 19+" Monitors. I'm running a single 8600 here and it pushes my 22" LCD just fine... I can play most games at full resolution and maintain a good FPS. How are you defining poor performance here?
    Dual 9600 GSO's. I'm just looking at the 260. That's all.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Is the GSO really THAT bad? I mean... My old 7600 GT could easily push my 22" monitor (until I raised the Portal settings at which point it chugged quite a bit). Perhaps I just don't realize quite how downscaled the GSO is but worse than 2 generations previous? Really?
    edited July 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    Is the GSO really THAT bad? I mean... My old 7600 GT could easily push my 22" monitor (until I raised the Portal settings at which point it chugged quite a bit). Perhaps I just don't realize quite how downscaled the GSO is but worse than 2 generations previous? Really?
    Well I'm tyring to run games like crysis and fallout 3 and quite high settings, with virtually no lagging. It's actually quite good for what you can get for it nowadays, but trying to run fallout 3 on ultra high settings just doesn't like me on bigger monitors. I could crank down the settings I guess.