Phenom II X4 system running at 800Mhz

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Hardware
So I built a new system for my brother and I'm having some problems getting it to clock up to 3Ghz.

Right now it is runing @200 x 4 and it won't clock up, even when being stressed with Prime95. Any hints?

Oh yeh, I disabled Cool & Quiet in the bios to no avail and I don't get it.

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    What motherboard are you using? Clock issues are pretty much always motherboard related. I'd suggest making sure you flash the latest BIOS. It's possible the current one doesn't support the model of Phenom you're using and that they have released a new BIOS to fix it.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited July 2009
    @200 x 4?

Each core is running at 2.2GHz
    or
    you have a 200 clock speed with a x4 multiplier?

If your running at 800Mhz that's messed up... increase your multiplier within your bios.

Also, which Phenom II is it?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Right now it is 200fsb x4

Phenom II x4 945

Should be running at 200 x15

I forget what motherboard it is. I thought about just setting the multiplier in the bios, but I really want to use the Cool & Quiet stuff so that it won't be sucking power the entire time it is running.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Where are you reading 200 x 4?
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Please post a CPU-Z screenshot.
    edited July 2009
    Here you go.
  • edited July 2009
    Update the BIOS from this page. This should resolve the problem.
    edited July 2009
    http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3012#anchor_os

Go update your BIOS. The BIOS you are running probably doesn't have the CPU ID for your particular processor revision. This is the main reason BIOS revisions are released.
    edited July 2009
    Bah! Mirage beat me by 3 minutes (of course I recommended updating the BIOS yesterday.... so I guess I beat him if you go by that ;) )
    :cheers:
    edited July 2009
    After I read the message that is what I thought but I had already left home back to Bartlesville for work. Thanks for the help.
    edited July 2009
    I just messaged my brother and he says the update isn't compatible with the 64 bit version (his words).

[strike]Screenshot coming.[/strike]
    Pic.jpg 271.8K
    edited July 2009
    Have him download the @BIOS utility. I always use this to flash my Giga-Byte motherboards. Make sure no other programs are running just in case. I'm pretty sure that the utility that he's using there has to be run from a boot-disk. @BIOS is generally better for flashing from Windows. It will automatically download the latest BIOS for the motherboard and is pretty safe as far as detecting problems with the flash and reverting them.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/Utility_List.aspx

Also, from the processor list, it does look like you need the F4 BIOS for that procossor
    edited July 2009
    That program needs to be run from DOS.. not Windows.

Make a bootable USB key, put the files on it and run it.

Job done.
    edited July 2009
    Sorry, I'm not there or else I'd help him. I'm discovering how hard it is to try and walk someone through something as opposed to just doing it and figuring it out.
    edited July 2009
    So I had to end up remoting in and updating the bios for him. The processor clocks up now, but dang does it get hot when it clocks to full power. It was sitting around 60-61 degrees with prime95 running
    edited July 2009
    Did you use the stock cooler or an after market solution? What about thermal paste? From my experience ~60 deg C is normal if you're using a stock cooler. That's why I always buy OEM processors and after market cooling (Currently Zalman and ArcticSilver).
  • edited July 2009
    Although temperature is not dangerously high, there is no headroom for overclocking. You might have an installation problem of the heatsink, but I would just buy a better heatsink if you are using the stock heatsink. That processor definitely deserves it.

Such as the followings
    Absolute cheapest worth buying but better than stock: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro
    Better for a little more: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
    A fancy one :)ZALMAN CNPS9900LED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
    edited July 2009
    I'd suggest the Zalman if there is room in the case for it. That's basically the one I have on my AMD X2 Windsor core... it keeps the CPU below 40 even under load. When I was actually playing around with some mild overclocking and running a burn-in I think it peaked at about 38. I used to recommend ThermalTake coolers but Zalman makes better ones these days IMO.
    edited July 2009
    And yet Zalman and Thermaltake are both grossly inferior to Thermalright, Thermolab, Prolima, Tuniq and Scythe.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Only buy thermalright.
    edited July 2009
    MAGIC wrote:
    Only buy thermalright.
    Forgetting someone? :tongue2: :shakehead
    edited July 2009
    LOLNO.
    edited July 2009
    I gotta say, I'm pretty skeptical that any of the coolers you mentioned can push my X2 system any lower while still being air cooled and running at a low rpm (1800-3600 RPM) Thrax. Even though the ambient temp of my apartment is usually between 76 and 86 deg F, my CPU idles around 30 deg C and under load never tops 38 deg C.
    edited July 2009
    I have an aftermarket cooler on my processor (Q6600), and I don't even oc, so it's kind of pointless. I don't expect my brother to overclock the computer or push it to 60C often if at all. I'm really not worried about too much. I just thought they would have shipped a heatsink with a little more capacity.
    edited July 2009
    Hahaha... not a chance. They ship the bare minimum to keep the processor from bursting into flames. They just want to keep it alive long enough to outlast the warranty.
  • edited July 2009
    I Have the same problem, my CPU-Z is equal at

<!-- member.php?u=9719 --><CITE class=ic-username>airbornflght</CITE> but I have other motherboard, I have ECS A790GXM-AD3 v1.0

The machine works fine, but the Far Cry 2 freeze after 5 minutes to start the game.

Excuse my english, but Iร‚ยดm trying to resove this issue and my english is not the best.

Thanks to all.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    If I may give my opinion regarding CPU coolers...

I've seen lots of reviews that indicate that yes, you guys are right, the brands you listed are generally good. However, Thermaltake does in fact produce an occasional rogue pack-leader HSF. My Big Typhoon cooler was purchased for the simple reason that it came very close to first out of a big list of 25 coolers for cooling capability, and I can see it working in my system. It keeps my CPU running literally 20C cooler than the intel stock HSF.