Joining the Fitness Band Wagon - QCH Style

2»

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    There are just days when your schedule, your friends, and your life won't let you eat on the plan. It's just gonna happen that way. So you take it in stride, and do the next day as planned, or the next day.

Fitness is for a lifetime. A day here or there won't ruin the world.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    OK... over the past week I've had 3 big events in which I was able to eat like a pig for free... In the past that would instantly mean belt stretching to gigantic proportions. All three days were premium food cooked by professional cook/ chief.

So... what happened? I ate way more than I should have, or so I thought. I realized than in just 10 days of eating smaller portions I THOUGHT I ate too much when in fact I was eating more than the last 10 days but far less than I would have a month ago.

So... when I stepped on the scale I was fully prepared for a severe increase in weight. I am proud to say I am at the same weight as my best. So at 237.5 lbs and my goal of 220 lbs... I am nearing half way in just 17 days I've dropped 7.5 pounds.

Also... I ordered a 5lb bag of EAS 100% Protein after trying it out with the 2lb jug. It will be here next week. I also added some fiber supliments with calcium. My FDA recommended percentages are almost all over 100% and most are several 100% over.

So a quick question... how long after a bad meal/ day will the weight actually show up? I know the next day you have to "eliminate" the left overs but the other weight due to calories/ fat intake show up on the scale?
    edited July 2009
    I don't really think a meal is out of your system for a few days, honestly. Like after the LAN, it took me 3 days to drop the 7 pounds of water weight/food weight and get back to normal.

Best thing you can do is just jump back on your eating plan and continue, and it'll all pan out as it ought to in short order.
    edited August 2009
    Well... even though I've have 3 days of not great days I still lost weight. The key is my "bad" meals are no where near as bad as my old "bad" meals.

So today I stepped on the scale and it stopped at 230 lbs. Then I realized that it was July 6th when I started this journey. Yep, 15 lbs in 1 month. Now next week I'll be up in the Boundary Water's canoeing for 5 days eating fancy rations. I have no idea if the activity will offset the food... I hope so. So I am WAY ahead of my projections. I have another 10 pounds to go in 2 months.

After I return I start the gym hard to help excelerate fat-to-muscle transformation.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    way to go Q. just keep at it. think of all the ladies looking at ya on the beach ;)
    edited August 2009
    Update: Today I stepped on the scale and low and behold I am SOOOO close to my first goal weight. Today I read 222.5. Yep, 2.5 pounds away. I should be able to hit that by next week which will make it two months of eating better. 25 pounds in 8 weeks... to think I thought losing 25 pounds in 12 weeks would be tough. :D

I get paid next Monday and I will sign up for my Fermilab's gym membership to start hitting the weights. I think my next goal will be 210 AND better muscle tone. If I can stay 210 and get some toning for the rest of the year, man will I be a happy camper. I think 200 is not out of the question until I start bulking up then 210 may be a good weight but how I look, feel, and how my body responds will be the test.

Side note, I am REALLY ticking off some friends and family that are dealing with their lack of weight loss. But dedicated Q is dedicated!!! :D
    edited August 2009
    I think you'll do just fine. :)
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    Go go gadget QCH!

Nice job, man. Keep plugging, you'll get there.
    edited September 2009
    update... Still hovering around 223. Life has been rough lately but I have started to work out 2-3 times a week and I am visiting the Physical Therapist for my back twice a week. Eating has been the rough part. I eat great for 2 or 3 days then a day or teo of bad eating. Stress and sleep have hampered my progress. I still have 15 days to lose the 3 pounds. Working out has helped keep me going so I know I'll be a fitter, slimmer me by 2010. ;)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I seem to push harder when life is going shitty and relax when life is good. It's like getting where I wanna be is the only sanity I have some days.

Keep at it brother, we are all behind ya.

Expo'10 gonna be one sexy shirtless party!
    edited September 2009
    Reporting in... today I can officially state that I have reached my goal. I have been hitting and then missing my "220 lb" goal all week. Early this week I was between 220.5 and 222.0. For the past 2 days I have been at or below 220. I weighed in today at 218.5 pounds. So since my 35th b-day (March 28) I have lost over 35 pounds.

Next goal is 210 by new Years AND work out more heavily. Then 205 by March 28th. 50 pounds in one year... Never thought it could be attainable.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Awesome work, Q. Congrats :)
    edited September 2009
    Thanks Brian... I might not be Thrax Sexy by EPIC10, but I will be Crush'n Q Sexy â„¢
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    (I'm more of a man-bear lover myself.. I prefer Crush'n Q Sexyâ„¢ to Thrax Sexy, personally)
    edited September 2009
    Oh stop.... you're making me blush... or is that H1N1? ;D
    edited October 2009
    Bad diet is bad... Being busy and tired means REALLY bad food choices. Not going shopping for MY foods means I eat what is available or eat out. Working out has taken a backseat to crammed work schedule...

Good news... I'm still hovering at the 220 lb mark. And yesterday, just for giggles, I popped off 25 push-ups without a problem. Yep my fat 255 lb old self would not be doing that... 220lb and 25 was rather easy. Next week should be less crazy so back on course. :thumbsup:
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Doesn't it feel great to do 25 pushups and barely break a sweat? I am still struggling with pushups, but I am following a method for pushups, situps and pull ups that a coach of mine way back suggested. Start @ 5 reps each, then, each day add another rep. The first time I did that, I got to the point where I could do 45 of each without breaking a sweat (well, pull ups are my personal hell, I struggle with them no matter how many, but being able to do 45 at a time was an awesome feeling). Once I hit 45, I left it there since I was interested in the conditioning only.
    edited October 2009
    At 220 lbs, I am still unable to do more than 2 pull ups. Someday... someday. :D
    edited December 2009
    Update... I am sitting at just under 215. That leaves me 5 to ditch by new years.
    edited December 2009
    Fitting that I was all happy at losing weight while secretly thinking that it has been too easy. On Saturday I weighted myself (less than 2 days after my last post) and I was 211.5!!! Holy cow. Only 1.5 pounds away from my goal.... but to lose 4 pounds in less than 2 days??? Something isn't right.

So my wife jumps on then goes over to the neighbors and weighs herself. Instead of losing 20 pounds, she had gained 3!!!! Yep.. our scale was slowly recording lower and lower weights. Only by the smallest of margins.

So instead of thinking I have lost over 40 pounds since last March (30 since July)... I'm at 233 pounds (22 pounds). NOT happy... kind of dejected. Back to eating like I knew I should have been doing.

And let's not talk about my wife... she is devastated. Beyond crushed... Not a good weekend at the Healy home. :(
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Perhaps you should find another scale and get a third opinion?
    edited December 2009
    At this point I am going to assume that my scale is dead. I plan on NOT weighing myself until after x-mas. Until then I'm going back to the hardcore plan. Eggs, cottage cheese, chicken, yogurt, salad, and apples... that's it for 90% of my meals. Since I really have no idea what I weigh at this point, I hope to be surprised at New Years.
    edited July 2010
    Well... after 13 months I am hovering at 230/235. I have always had high cholesterol (like since I was in high school). Never worse than 217 but never under 197.

I just had my blood work done...

Cholesterol = 187
    Triglisterites = normal
    HDL = a bit over normal
    LDL = Normal
    Blood Pressure = 100/60 (low)

So I am very happy with that. With Noell losing weight, I am really trying to stick with it.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    A wise man once told me something about Cholesterol "You can't really do anything about, it is genetic" as he shoved ribs into his mouth with both hands.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    There must be some truth to that at least, because I eat like crap yet have low cholesterol... Then again, I do like a lot of garlicy foods and I hear that helps lower it.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    This was coming from a heart surgeon. Your body produces more cholesterol than you could ever consume on any remotely reasonable diet. Diet and exercise help get you below if you are closeish to borderline levels. Medication can help but if you have bad cholesterol it is most likely just going to stay that way. The numbers for bad and good levels are continuing to shift all the time and what one doctor tells you might not be the same as another due to several different theories currently supported in the medical fields.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    QCH wrote:
    At this point I am going to assume that my scale is dead. I plan on NOT weighing myself until after x-mas. Until then I'm going back to the hardcore plan. Eggs, cottage cheese, chicken, yogurt, salad, and apples... that's it for 90% of my meals. Since I really have no idea what I weigh at this point, I hope to be surprised at New Years.

Why not just buy a new scale?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    This was coming from a heart surgeon. Your body produces more cholesterol than you could ever consume on any remotely reasonable diet. Diet and exercise help get you below if you are closeish to borderline levels. Medication can help but if you have bad cholesterol it is most likely just going to stay that way. The numbers for bad and good levels are continuing to shift all the time and what one doctor tells you might not be the same as another due to several different theories currently supported in the medical fields.

There's a lot of truth in this. My family has a genetic predisposition toward high serum cholesterol levels. I went for a screening several years ago and was measured at a shocking 263. The doc told me to stop eating red meat (I'm a vegetarian) and to stop smoking (I never have). I did cut out the worst thing in my diet: cheese. I cut my cheese consumption considerably and improved my diet in general, and went back for screening a year later. My TCL was measured at 264 that year.

This is not to say that exercise doesn't help. Folowing the 264 screening I spent a year doing regular workouts, both in the gym and on a bike, and had dropped my TCL to 236 the following year. I don't deprive myself of cheese any more.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    Medication can help but if you have bad cholesterol it is most likely just going to stay that way.

Statins are very effective in inhibiting LDL synthesis as well as promoting LDL/VLDL uptake by the liver.

Fibrates and niacin not so much, but they are used more for their ability to decrease trigyclerides/increase HDL than direct action on LDL.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    QCH wrote:
    Well... after 13 months I am hovering at 230/235. I have always had high cholesterol (like since I was in high school). Never worse than 217 but never under 197.

I just had my blood work done...

Cholesterol = 187
    Triglisterites = normal
    HDL = a bit over normal
    LDL = Normal
    Blood Pressure = 100/60 (low)

So I am very happy with that. With Noell losing weight, I am really trying to stick with it.

Protein, Protein, Protein!!! Seriously, a high protein and high fiber diet will help you achieve your goal as well as sweating until you feel like you have another layer of skin falling off. What's your exercise routine like? I've found the easiest way to sweat your weight off is to go for a nice long walk on a blistering hot day......

Let me know :thumbup