9800 GTX+ dead?

jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Hardware
Seem to be in a bit of a situation here.

My PC, which I have not used for anything except folding@home since I bought it, is not giving a display signal.

The card is a 9800 GTX+ that is only 4 months old.

The other day I just came home, tried to switch on the LCD, and the screen just remained blank. Today after some further investigating I can't seem to get a display at all. No BIOS boot screen, nothing.

Here's what I've done.

Disconnected all peripherals
Removed all extra PCI/PCIe cards
Reseated RAM
Reseated video card
Reset CMOS
Tried a different monitor

Still no dice. Everything boots, all the fans spin up, I get no beeps at all, the motherboard lights are all orange (which if I recall is normal, it's the BloodIron), and most of all no display.

If it was bad RAM I would think I would get an error code or one of the lights would indicate that.

As I said, I literally haven't touched this computer since I built it 4 months ago, other than to install F@H on it.

Strangely enough I did notice a few weeks ago that my PPD average was something insanely low - around 800-900ppd - but never had time to investigate any further.

So with that said, do you think the video card is the issue here? I don't have an extra PCI-e card around so I can't really do a swap test.
Other than that, what else can I try?

I've never dealt with EVGA support before, any insight?

Cheers :jared:

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    As said on ze Twitter, EVGA pimps their lifetime warranties on almost everything they sell. I think they should cover you if that's the issue.
  • edited July 2009
    I have recently used EVGA warranty and they are excellent. If you have bought their warranty option you can cross ship for free. They even send you the prepaid shipping label. Under standard warranty, you will pay for shipping and wait for the replacement to be sent after the defective card is received by EVGA.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I wouldn't rule out the RAM. Bad RAM can cause a box to be totally unresponsive. No error codes, nothing. If you have RAM you can swap out, try it. Otherwise yeah, sounds like a video card probably... provided that the computer is turning on but simply not displaying anything. If your video card is bad you should still get a POST beep though, if you aren't it might be your RAM or motherboard.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I talked to Drasnor the other day, over the weekend I'm gonna give him my 9800gtx to stick in one of his boxes. That will at least confirm or eliminate the video card...
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    Good call on that. No-post symptoms can definitely come from almost any piece of the system. I once had a sound card with a short-circuit in the PCB that was causing the PC to be completely unresponsive on power-up. Took me ages to figure out the source of the problem.