nvidia physx question.

lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
edited July 2009 in Hardware
I'm going to be picking up a BFG GTX 285 in the near future, and this leads me to a question. My current system has 2 PCI-e slots, but is not SLI compatible - only crossfire. With this in mind, is it still possible to pair the GTX 285 with an older 9600 GT (which I still have around) and use the 9600 GT as the physics processor?

If so, some quick directions as to how this is accomplished would be appreciated. I've heard you can do this, but I honestly don't have a clue how it's done.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I believe it is, and the cards don't need to (and in fact, can't) run in SLi or Crossfire for it to work. You just install two nVidia cards that use the same driver, and in the nVidia screen configuration options, it'll detect the second card and ask if you want to use it as PhysX or as a second monitor.

All gravy from there, pretty much.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    Ah, neat. Didn't realize it was that simple. Definitely gonna give that a go, then... my PSU's more than big enough at 1000 watts to handle it. Would love to try the physx levels in UT3 on an actual physx-enabled platform.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    After receiving my new GTX 285, I had a rethink about the whole dedicated PhysX card thing. It occurred to me that there aren't many games that actually use it, and having the 9600 GT below the GTX 285 would both limit airflow and cause the 285 to be pulling in warmer air (from the 9600 GT). This combined with the fact that if I install 2 graphics cards, my x16 slots become x8 slots led me to conclude that it was a better idea to just run the GTX 285 solo.

I'm really impressed with it so far. Already shoved the settings in my games up higher than I had em on my dual HD4850s and the performance is smoother.