Vista problems with updates?

djmonstadjmonsta London, UK Member
edited July 2009 in Science & Tech
I have a friends laptop that needs fixing... Anytime I try to do anything with windows updates the window freezes. The rest of windows is fine. When I go to shut down it sits on "configuring update 1 of 1". I've gone into safe mode and deleted the contents of 'softwaredistribution' as i know this deletes any downloaded updates. Computer then works fine until I go to do anything else to do with updates. Ive tried changing settings form install automatically to just download, but when i click ok, again the windows freezes. I'm at a bit of a wits end with this, anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Have you evaluated the hardware's health? Hard disk? DRAM?
  • djmonstadjmonsta London, UK Member
    edited July 2009
    I've run memtest with no problems. The laptop is virus and spyware free (that was the first thing i tested), haven't 'scandisk'ed the hdd yet, need to remove and connect up to my pc to do that and haven't really had the chance yet.. In all honesty the laptop is less than 6 months old so i doubt its any hardware failures, its also a Dell so not some sucky make like E-Machines!!! The problem only occurs when you try and do anything with updates...