Finally! New Mechwarrior news!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Nerds: BuddyJ, myself and Drasnor have been talking about this on IRC & Twitter for a couple hours now. Love MW? Get in on the action and join IRC! http://icrontic.com/irc
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Nerds: BuddyJ, myself and Drasnor have been talking about this on IRC & Twitter for a couple hours now. Love MW? Get in on the action and join IRC! http://icrontic.com/irc
    Can't do that in the office... :(
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    mertesn wrote:

your not trying hard enough.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    mertesn wrote:
    They block Mibbit?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    Screw Mechwarrior (yeah I said it) I want Smith and Tinker to do something with Crimson Skies.

But you know, this is still good news. Oh and while they are at it lets put a real Shadowrun game out there. Not that piece of crap FPS.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    They block Mibbit?

My office blocks mibbit...

Also:

HOLY HELL NEW MECH GAME FOR PC! I don't know how long I've been wishing for one.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    They block Mibbit?
    No, but I like my job. Company policy says no IRC (and various other chat programs), so it's reserved for telecommuting days.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I am going to rock this game like a hurricane!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Finally, time to unpack the Sidewinder joystick.

I'd love to join you nerds in IRC, but frankly, I don't know how you do it and stay productive. I'll just tell you this: fear my LBX frump.
    edited July 2009
    I see your LBX and raise you a Jenner with LRM-20s and a Beagle Active Probe.
    edited July 2009
    PPC, Gauss Rifle, and LRM's. Reserve the ER battery for snipping off legs.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited July 2009
    Holy PPC's, Batman! This is the best news since AvP 3 was officially announced. Unfortunately, it's also a reboot being made for the Xbox as well as the PC. In other words, say bye to the sim you knew and loved.

Still, should be fun.
    edited July 2009
    Grim: It's being made by a studio run by the founder of FASA. FASA. You know, the company that invented MechWarrior and BattleTech.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Reading the interview gave me the opposite impression. They give the impression that they're trying to build on the sim aspect more, allowing a more-realistic and non-linear gameplay style that'll require more strategy and co-work.
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I see your LBX and raise you a Jenner with LRM-20s and a Beagle Active Probe.

Well played, sir.
    _k_ wrote:
    PPC, Gauss Rifle, and LRM's. Reserve the ER battery for snipping off legs.

Effective, sure. But what's the fun in blowing up your opponent if you can barely see them on the horizon?

Hopefully the topography will be varied enough for me to continue pursuing my ninja shotgun approach.
    edited July 2009
    I realize who it's being made by, and for that I'm glad.

But, it is still cross-platform and while that is not neccessarily always a bad thing, in this situation it does mean that they will have to develop a game that works well on both formats and a gamepad simply cannot do a full-fledged sim.

*What's this about an interview? I must have missed it.
    edited July 2009
    On top of that whenever the word 'reboot' is thrown around it almost always means that there are at least some significant changes to the original project, whether it be videogames, books, movies, etc.
    edited July 2009
    Nvm, just found that interview....reading....
    edited July 2009
    Garg, I run everything with jumpjets so I can pop into sight and cut loose. Nothing like an 100 ton mech flying through the air launching rockets and shooting lasers into the wild blue yonder.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I vaguely remember a friend of mine playing this a while back, looked pretty spiffy. Never played it myself though.
    edited July 2009
    Hmmmm, I just read the interview and some of the things they are aiming for sound pretty tantalizing (co-op, putting on emphasis on the value of mechs, more class emphasis, etc), but I'm still skeptical of how much sim they are going to build into it.

It does look like it'll be a blast to play though! (hopefully :) )
    edited July 2009
    Given the nature of analog sticks, the controller is actually more suited to play MechWarrior than your average PC.
    edited July 2009
    Ha, I will agree with you there (although in most circumstances I much, much, much prefer mouse and keyboard to console controllers), excepting a joystick which I consider to be the best option for MechWarrior-ing around.
    edited July 2009
    My only wish is that I had bought a joystick with yaw axis rotation. A friend of mine had a fancy Sidewinder that had it (Ghaleon4 on the forums), but I kept accidentally engaging it while playing Freespace. That would be perfect for torso rotation in Mechwarrior, though.

I should have put in tickets for the joystick giveaway at the LAN :(
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    the analog sticks are great for controlling a mech, true, but lack of enough buttons kills potential. Do you remember the sheer number of commands in mech Warrior 3? It was like playing a flight sim, the entire keyboard was used.

They have to simply gameplay controls to fit on the small number of inputs on a gamepad.

That alone rules out the 'full sim' potential.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    So yeah, the Thrustmaster T16000.M suddenly just got a lot more valuable
    edited July 2009
    Playing MechWarrior with a joystick that had the twist function was a joy. Pure, unadulterated joy.
    edited July 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    the analog sticks are great for controlling a mech, true, but lack of enough buttons kills potential. Do you remember the sheer number of commands in mech Warrior 3? It was like playing a flight sim, the entire keyboard was used.

They have to simply gameplay controls to fit on the small number of inputs on a gamepad.

Honestly, let's look at what it would take to pilot a mech on a controller:

Leg turn (analog stick)
    Torso turn (Analog stick)
    Torso pitch (Analog stick)
    Cycle sensor
    Activate sensor
    Cycle weapon
    Group weapon
    Fire weapon
    Jumpjets
    Change target

The 360 has enough buttons to accommodate all of these functions, and there's not much else a mech requires. Maybe change camera?

Maps and tactical information can be accessed from a pause menu.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    So yeah, the Thrustmaster T16000.M suddenly just got a lot more valuable

Yeah, ive never played any mech games but this looks cool.
    edited July 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:

What are the "sim" elements people are talking about? I'm guessing the sim elements were in #3, but I only played 2 & 4.