TMPGenc 4.0 XPress: Allow me to XPress my satisfaction...

MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von PuttenhamCalifornia Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Great writing, Dan. I'm not terribly interested in the software and it was still a fun read; no small accomplishment.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    That was a really fun read Dan. Love the style.

I'm a man who is no stranger to video, editing, and conversion. I was encoding files before I knew how to open a PC and work on it.

I love working with video, but conversion and encoding is an unfortunate by-product that any media manager must master before they can find a strong foothold in the craft.

There are two types of outputs that I use for video. If I'm editing in Premiere, I almost always export as a .mov in the h.264 codec. For every other single piece of video that crosses my path (most notably - FRAPS recordings) I encode and compress using TMPgenc.

I hate that name.

I've been using TMPGenc for over 7 years, and I still use a lightweight, streamlined version that I found years ago. I love it. It's compression quality is second to none, and the software takes care of business in the cleanest of ways. I have yet to find a standalone video package that does a better job than TMPGenc.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Also, despite my years of hobbyist and professional editing and video work, I STILL don't mess with the 'Quantization matrix'.

That thing makes my head spin.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Quantization matrices are your friend. They can make a WORLD of difference, particularly in low bitrates.
  • edited July 2009
    Quantization matrices are only for use by proffessionals :D cause, it really makes a difference even with normal encoding... Used long time ago finded "Fox Cinema" template! But TMPGenc allways gives good picture quality on lower cost, so i would recommend this to anyone! (exept, if you looking for Pal/Ntsc conversion)
  • edited August 2009
    If you have a lot of videos to process check out the "Batch Authoring Tool." It's a lifesaver.

With it you can queue up a bunch of saved projects and it will run them in the order added while you go home for the weekend. You can set the task priority and how many tasks to run at once. It's an extremely useful tool.
  • edited August 2009
    I have just completed a major job on TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0, the conversion of fifty or so DVD-discs of 'dv-avi' material to high quality mpg2. I still have a further 25 to go, but hey, a break from fifteen hour days is needed.

But, top marks to the 'batch' encoding system. Being a 'newbie' to 'TMPGEnc', but not, certainly, to video production; I spent about a couple of hours teeing up transfers each evening, to take place overnight while I slept. It all works perfectly, and I particularly like the feature where, if you suffer a glitch during processing, the software sensibly proceeds to the next file in the batch, leaving you to sort the matter out in daylight. I've been using the software continuously for ten days or so; suffered a minor problem when my use of a 'download manager' downloaded an incorrect file, but that was rectified within 36 hours or so, with advice from 'support'. I was so pleased with my purchase in fact, that I turned around immediately and invested further, in 'Authoring Works 4.0', which I'm just about up-to-speed with, already. My verdict, excellent software which 'delivers', and that's not as common as it ought to be these days.

Ian Smith
    Dunedin, new Zealand
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Hey beautiful editorman,

Can we throw in the link to the Myrmiject up in the beginning?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9yclo_cash-is-an-ill-inspiration_music

Watch it in HD, ya damn kids.