Platinum PC2-8000 ram doesn't run 1000 MHz.

lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
edited July 2009 in Hardware
I own two OCZ DDR2-1000 sticks (rated to run 500MHz 5-5-5-18 @ 2.1v), and they do state that the sticks are technically "overclocked DDR2-800 modules" which passed factory testing at 1000. I believe my particular modules were only stable at that speed during burn-in... when I try to set my ram to its rated frequency (DDR1000), my system is not stable, even with looser timings than the ram is rated for. Maybe I simply have lower quality modules, or maybe this is a pitfall that you can run into with this kind of ram... I don't know. Just thought I'd throw it out there, either way.

Incidentally, the ram runs stable at DDR900 5-5-5-18 2.1v. I currently am running DDR900 6-7-7-24 @ 1.9v because I have two Kingston DDR2-667 modules in there with it, and I really don't think 2.1v is a good idea through ram modules that do not have heatsinks. I'm actually quite amazed they even run stable @ DDR900 at all (considering they're rated 667), but they pass memtest86+ AND prime95 blend, so I'm going with it.

Edited for listed speeds terminology.

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    lordbean wrote:
    I currently am running DDR900 6-7-7-24 @ 1.9v because I have two Kingston DDR2-667 modules in there with it, and I really don't think 2.1v is a good idea through ram modules that do not have heatsinks.

Wait, so you are trying to set you memory to ddr1000 with sticks value ram rated at 667 in the system as well? If so, than theres your problem right there.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    #1, Are we working with the system in your profile?

#2, Do you have the latest bios for the board? Important that you do.

#3, Remove all ram except the OCZ ram for testing so we can get this right.

#4, what is the part number of your OCZ ram.

Thanks.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    Yes, we're working with the system in my profile, minus the the Kingston sticks. They're only in there because they seem to work at 900. I've only ever put the OCZ ram to 1000 when it's just been those 2 modules.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I have the latest bios, or at least it's not far out of date. I updated it about a month ago.

My previous testing and relation of this info is in fact without the Kingston sticks installed. I'll try it again for good measure though.

Part number to follow once I get my system open...

Btw, I didn't really mean to start a whole troubleshooting thread. I was more offering it as possibly pertinent information in the OP's thread.
    edited July 2009
    Here's the detailed info off the stickers.

PC2 8000 5-5-5 @ 2.1v
    Platinum Edition 2GB
    PN: OCZ2P10004GK
    SN: 007100809000739-1
    Second module is same as above only SN ends in -2

Edit to avoid triple posting.

I am now running prime95 with the following settings:

FSB 400MHz (native speed on the gigabyte mobo)
    CPU @ 3.2GHz (guaranteed stable, didn't reduce any voltages and it's stable @ 3.6)
    RAM @ 5-5-5-18 2.1v using the 2.5A strap for 1000MHz

We'll see what it does.

Second edit - that didn't take long at all. Cores 3 and 4 failed within 10 seconds. Cores 1 and 2 failed within 30.

Result: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Displayed on all 4 worker windows.
    edited July 2009
    More data:

Post failed completely when I attempted to boot using the following:

FSB 400MHz
    RAM @ 6-7-7-24 2.1v 2.5A strap for 1000MHz

The bios reset to stock FSB after the system powered on and off twice.

Edit for yet more data.

Post failed using 5-5-5-18 2.1v @ 450MHz FSB using the 400MHz strap.
    Post successful using 5-5-5-18 2.1v @ 450MHz FSB using the 333MHz strap, and stress testing looks initially good. It always used to work at these settings before, so it should still be fine now.

I find it very curious that it wouldn't post using the 400MHz strap though. I thought it was supposed to be more stable the further out you pushed the strap setting.