2009.07.14 "Purple" discussion

2»

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    BH - Very nice, but I'm always a huge sucker for bokeh. The flowers look a tiny bit overexposed, but I enjoy it a lot.

Mondi - I mistook it for water on the first glance, but I like it. I would agree that the theme need not actually be in the photo - mine was going to be just the royalty aspect as it relates to purple, but I decided to purple it up at the last second. As long as you can relate them in some way, it's all gravy. Very cool shot.

CB - I like the way the stem hairs catch some light and almost radiate. Cool picture.

Chris - Nice shot and great colors, though I think I personally would have preferred at least one bar to be in perfect focus. Very soothing image, though.

ReyRey - good use of another color to emphasize the theme. I'm with Brian - I find it hard to take a snap of part of a huge section of something. Good framing on your part.

Marushka - very cute. I like your style. :D
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited July 2009
    Good point Snark, I need to be better about my focus.
    edited July 2009
    drasnor, nice job, interesting concept, definitely cool down the colors and don't be scared to crop off the top for better composition.

shwaip, I really like this, I love the focus right where it is and I think you could make it really pop out of the background through a little stronger contrast and saturation. Something about how almost grainy the bokeh in the background is really appeals to me.

Nemikan, cute photo but I must be missing the joke

Black Hawk, this photo is superb, so well composed, perfect contrast and color, wow, awesome!

mondi, I love this one too, I love that you let those beautiful blacks come through, great shooting!

CB, I'm not huge on this one either, something about it doesn't feel right, i think it that the fuzz on the vines and leaves are so back lit that it gives those white edges and it looks like a poor masking job. Something you didn't have any trouble with considering how well you isolated the flowers.

ReyRey, so peaceful, love that the purple really is just the background while your eye darts over the green, the color and the edges of the green leaves just make them pop right out.

Marushka, err, is that your tongue? Clever idea :)
  • MarushkaMarushka cambridge, ma Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, that was me and my tongue. I was at a potluck and I brought nerds and jolly ranchers and purple popsicles and everyone wanted to help me with my shot and make their tongues purple! I had this glorious group shot in mind, but I failed horribly at actually TAKING a good shot of everyone.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    chris: I also think that if you had one of the bars in focus it would have been better, but otherwise i like it.

unfortunately the 'grainy' bokeh is a result of the cheap prime i'm using to shoot with - if there were any lights in the background, you totally would have definitely been able to tell - i end up with a whole lot of pentagons (from the 5-blade shutter). it looks good in this photo, but not some others.
    edited July 2009
    I can imagine so, but I also find bokeh fascinating to nerd out to too so I might think any interesting bokeh is good.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Marushka: I love it :D it's cute and made me smile. What more should a photograph do?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    It's a pity that this theme was a few days ago. I just went through a house that had a wood floor that was painted royal purple. It was really awesome looking. Would have made a good photo (at least if I was a good photographer).
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    post it anyways, your just not conforming to the rules, oh well :P
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I didn't end up taking a picture. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Go through the house again. oh well if you dont buy it, just take the awesome photo :P
    maybe if you actually like the house you could negotiate the price down a bit more taking photos.
    tell them your taking photos to get contractors opinions on how to fix this awful purple foor.