2009.07.15 "Trees" discussion

2»

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    QCH wrote:
    For those that don't know what tree this is (Detroit folks)... its a Coconut tree. ;D

Yeah, the coconuts didn't give it away. thx.
  • MarushkaMarushka cambridge, ma Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Drasnor: I think its gorgeous. I love how the leaves in the upper left are almost halo'd by the sunlight.

primesuspect: Im really impressed with the vision. I cant imagine attempting something like that in photoshop and I think it took a LOT of creativity to see something like that and pull it together.

snarkasm: beautiful. I love that its sitting mysteriously in black background, almost giving it no earthly context. Its like an amulet.

reyrey: thats just so freaking cool. Im jealous you got to see it live.

mondi: I love the rich color. The whole picture looks just peaceful.

BH: what a great photo. I love the angular symmetry lines of the branches, and the great shades of tropical green.

nemikan and gnomewizardd: I dont really know anything about photography, so both of your pictures I kind of love for the same reason. *edit: by that I only mean I apologize that my opinion groups your photos together over of noting the finer qualities that make them unique.* you capture just the simple beauty of the "greenness" of trees. I feel like both pictures are just paying homage to the beauty of big leafy awesomeness.

nate_lapT: even though its a camera phone, I still get a sense of the giant size and span of the tree. Its cool its right outside your front door--its like some history thats been there a hell of a lot longer than any of us.

shwaip: so cool. SO cool. Im still impressed everytime I look at it. It continues to make me smile even though Ive seen it 8 times. there is a lot to notice and a lot to love about this photo.

CB: what an impressive sight. It makes me a little sad, but thats a tribute to how you framed the photo. You definitely give a sense of slaughter by just how many chopped trees are packed lifelessly into the frame.

docfrazier: I really like how the center of attention is on the nuts(?) but there is this gorgeous line travelling through the frame from the mid upper left to the lower right, with the leaves, stems and branches all kind of delicately shaping together.

bandrik: COOL. I really like the idea. and I like how it definitely shows human interaction with the wonderfully gigantic trees around you. I get the sense that someone real is looking at those trees and smiling and playing with cameras.

gargoyle: really neat color, and I like how even though its a little blurry, you can tell how delicate and soft the leaves are. and the tree at sunset on the campus is just majestic.

ghoosdum: I love that in the dark part of the picture you get little highlights of gold light hitting the leaves. it gives it this great shape that the viewer gets to invent a little in her mind.

gnome queen: I think this is actually my favorite. I really like the cool colors--the trunk looks slightly gray which gives it a bit of a Tim Burton effect. I can imagine those twining, gnarling stems reaching out and swallowing some kid when no one is looking :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    GQ: That is an awesome photo, no lie. I can't put my finger on it, but it really brings back memories of my dad's Yashica FR-II and shooting with film. Something about the quality of the lens.

As your inauguration to film photography, you did a splendid job.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I don't care if it's late, that shot from the Yashica is awesome, GQ. Nice entry into film!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    GQ, great pic!