WordPress Design

ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Internet & Media
Not sure if any of you have worked much with WordPress. I have a little blog that I sometimes post rants and whatnot on. Mostly just because I get the server for free as I work at a hosting company. I've decided that I want to design my own WordPress theme to go with the Wiki that I'm designing. Does anyone here have good resources on developing for WordPress? I'm not inept when it comes to web development, my HTML and CSS are pretty strong, my javascript could use some improvement but it's not bad though my PHP needs some work. I've already been checking out the Codex, just wondering if anyone here has anything more concise than that.

Comments

• fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I've done some minor alterations to the Kubrik theme for the sites I maintain. That includes some changes to the CSS but mostly just modifying the JPGs for the background and such in PS. Not sure what could be done with javascript and PHP - my skills are non-existent - but it's never been needed to achieve what I wanted. Of course you could also start with any other theme than the standard Kubrik, and there are gazillions to download for free - as well as countless plugins for anything imaginable. Gotta love Wordpress!

Here are the sites I maintain:

www.fmueller.com
    www.ohiocichlid.com
    www.brasch-group.com

fmueller.com needs some attention in the navbar area, but no time right now. Web design is just a hobby for me. The first one is my personal site, the next one I did for my fish club, and the last one is for my wife's research group.

Frank
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    The Codex is definitely the best resource; this is my most-visited page of it: http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages

Also check out Wordpress.tv - it's an official resource full of good tutorial videos.

You're also more than welcome to post questions here; Icrontic runs on Wordpress so I know a little bit about it ;) If you don't see reply from me in a day or so just PM me with a link to the thread. Sometimes I miss stuff if it's not brought to my attention.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I've done a few sites with wordpress, ive tried other cms but always come back to wp.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the input guys. Linc - I'll definitely check out wordpress.tv. I'm starting to wonder if I started this project at the worst time ever though what with the whole house hunting and everything. This may not progress very far before I get a house purchased and moved and everything.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    yeah learning your cms can take hours at times, depending on how fast you learn things.