Motherboard/CPU/RAM upgrade

gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
edited July 2009 in Hardware
Looking to replace my Motherboard/CPU/RAM, could use some recomandations on the motherboard for a start.

open to ether Intel or AMD, willing to spend up 1,000 dollars on the 3 items.

This system is not going to be overclocked.

going to be ordering the system at the end of augast.

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    If I were going to upgrade and was able to spend 1000$ on those three components, I'd probably pick up the following personally.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.212581

and then stuff it full of DDR3 memory of my choosing. Perhaps 2 of these kits:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220407

Then again... I haven't had the time to keep on top of what is the greatest in desktop hardware lately so I may be completely off-base on this. That's just what I'd order if I were to upgrade my desktop right now.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    what do you have now, and what do you want to do with your machine?
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited July 2009
    currently have a 5000+ 4 gigs of ram on a asus something CM motherboard and i hate the thing.

not able to look at it do to it being in Wa state and me in the desert.

I mainly play WOW and run it at 1920X1200 and it studders doing that, when it did not on the old system(in sig) before

I want a system that will last me for awhile
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    For $1000, you should certainly be considering a Core i7. It's faster than the Phenom II and you'll still have $300-400 to spare.

As an added bonus, the new 32nm chips coming in the winter are a guaranteed upgrade. AMD has nothing new on deck until 2011.
    edited July 2009
    but is it worth buying the 2.66 for 279 dollars or going with the 579 dollar 3.06 i7 chips?

FYi i am running Vista Ult 64 bit os right now
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    For the price of a 40 dollar heatsink the i7 920 can be clocked far beyond the stock speed of the 980 dollar i7 965. Ide save the money and invest it in the motherboard and memory.

But, as thrax said, the new 32nm chips will be coming out in a few months so if you can hold off you should.

However, if i bought a new system today it would look like this: motherboard, CPU, and memory.
  • edited July 2009
    $1000 is a lot for memory+CPU+motherboard. In this case, I agree with Thrax and MAGIC, i7 is the way to go. But don't throw all the money on the CPU, save some for the GPU and overclock the i7 like MAGIC suggested and get a good, very good cooler.

This is what I would do
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE
    Coreร‚ยฎ i7 920
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit
    Prolimatech Megahalems Heatpipe CPU Cooler
    edited July 2009
    I think if you're dead set on spending 1k on a mb/cpu/ram combo, there's been good advice so far. If you just want to play wow though, you could probably spend way less and be happy with the results.
    edited July 2009
    Did that after the old system died, and got a down grade instead. As for overclocking, not going to be doing it, had way to many problems doing that before. so not going to do it this time. On top of the fact my apt does not have AC, which during the summer, might cause problems with overclocking.

As for the price 1,000 dollars is the MOST i am willing to spend not what i am going to spend on it.

A WD VelociRaptor is also going to be added, I think my 64 gig raptor drive is going, makeing odd noise latley.
    edited July 2009
    check out this article about modding a cheaper drive to outperform the velociraptor.

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84728
    edited July 2009
    i pretty much set myself on the i7 now for a few ideas on the motherboard. mainly used ASUS other then that not sure what one to go with

btw MAGIC the link you have are for RAM CPU CPU no motherboard
    edited July 2009
    Woops, i would recomend the DFI DK series due to that it is very reliable, good overclocking potential, and modestly priced. However Mirages EVGA suggestion looks very nice. I honestly haven't touched evga for motherboards since i had so many problems with my 680i board but they look good now.
    edited July 2009
    +1 for the DFI T3eH6. Great board.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    I've only ever owned one DFI board in my lifetime, and it was a fantastic motherboard. I would have bought DFI again, but it seems to be hard to find places that even carry them in my area. I probably would have to order online.
    edited July 2009
    Ok I will try that board still have 40ish day left here

so far going with this
    DFI T3eH6
    EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB
    i7 2.66
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB)
    edited July 2009
    Hell of a system you've got there. :D
    edited July 2009
    Hell yeah, If i wasn't holding out for the next round of i7's thats exactly what I'd be purchasing.
    edited July 2009
    Still have 30-40 days before i can order it so who knows what might change, still deployed to the middle east(USAF) untill sept(some time in the 1st 2 weeks)
    edited July 2009
    Good luck over there.
  • edited July 2009
    gibbonsl wrote:
    Still have 30-40 days before i can order it so who knows what might change, still deployed to the middle east(USAF) untill sept(some time in the 1st 2 weeks)

Best of luck to you. The computer configuration is very nice. I have the same graphics card, it is a good one.