WTF do I do now? I cant turn it on!!! HELP!

benjid42701benjid42701 Elizabethtown, KY
edited July 2009 in Hardware
I'm new to this forum guys so bear with me. I may be a little lengthy in my explanations but I would like to give ya a general overview of whats going on. The system i posted as mine is actually my girlfriends pc but the pc im using to post here was her old one. anyway, she decides one day to start upgrading her pc and orders the mobo, mem and processor. all is well. they arrive and as usual i take over because "she would rather not fool with it" lol. Happily I move to remove the old mobo mem and proc. first sign of a problem. The psu is a 20 pin and she ordered a 24 pin mobo. great. the 20 pin works but to be on the safe side i would rather have all 24 pins connected. so she orders this 600w OKIA psu that I'm not to familiar with. I remove the old psu and install new only to find out that there is no connector from the new psu to the pwr-fan terminal on the mobo. Okay well maybe its regulated internally by the psu. no-prob. the entire reason she upgraded the entire system basically was because her usb ports only worked on certain things and with others did not. I had purchased a seagate 500gb external that plugged usb and her pc would not recognize it at all as didn't my mp3 player or my first motorola cell phone. But her phone worked fine and printers picked up, blah blah blah. anywho, I decided that I would get her a new internal to go with her new hardware to be a nice guy, only to find out she had ordered vista ultimate. whew! well last night i installed the new internal hd and loaded the 64 bit vista onto it. Went swiftly, no problems, rebooted, loaded mobo software, rebooted no problems, started to load the dvd drive software and the pc shut down like just went from running to off shutdown and I panicked. WTF? Now after 5 hrs of trying to get this thing to start....no dice. I've tried unplugging the dern thing from the wall, pulling the bios batt. letting it sit for over 2 hrs, replacing the pwr-on switch, and all i get when I put all back in place to try to boot is a power on led on the mobo, and when I press the switch, the cpu fan makes about 3 or 4 turns and stops and the psu fan just barely moves and then nothing. any ideas? I'm thinking psu.:eek2:

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Sounds like a dead psu. Heres a good guide to checking the psu voltages with a multimeter.
  • edited July 2009
    OKIA 600W is a terrible PSU to begin with. If the PSU looks okay after following MAGIC's suggestion, I would suspect motherboard. But I would not try another motherboard with that PSU.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I agree with the advice given so far. And as mirage pointed out not to try another board with that PSU. In short that PSU is a POS. Lets hope it did not harm any other components.
  • benjid42701benjid42701 Elizabethtown, KY
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the advice magic. I checked the jumper and whaddayaknow the PSU is a POS. lol. We went to Best Buy and purchased a 700w Rocketfish PSU that seems to be working just fine. I had suspected it was the PSU but wanted to start there it replacing things and thought I could ask you guys. Thanks for all your advice. Gonna be getting involved deeply with this site here very very soon. Once again thank everyone for their help on this issue.