4 RAM modules @ 466MHz FSB

lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
edited July 2009 in Hardware
As the title says, I want to put 4 RAM modules for a total of 8GB of ram into my gaming PC @ 466 MHz FSB. I've already ordered 4 sticks of OCZ Low-voltage Platinum PC2-8500... anyone have any opinions of success (or otherwise) for this plan?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    It'll be a struggle. You'll need to boost vDIMM and vNB.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    It's possible the motherboard does that on its own... I've already successfully had 4 2GB dimms running at 450MHz, but the gigabyte bios is known to actually adjust voltages higher than normal on its own when set to "Auto"... thats why they have a setting called "Normal", which disables the behavior it displays on auto.
    edited July 2009
    The "auto" voltage settings tend to jack the voltages above what is necessary, and that's inadvisable.
    edited July 2009
    I've actually seen that myself... I put my CPU and FSB termination on manual because the mobo was cranking them too high for what I needed...

Would you be able to suggest good baseline voltages for the other bits and parts? I left them on auto because I honestly don't know what good levels for them are.
    edited July 2009
    It really just depends on your board. On mine, for example, I left it at stock settings, checked the voltages, then manually locked them all in at the stock settings. Then I boosted the vCore and vDIMM to hit 500*7, and that was it.
    edited July 2009
    Ok... I'll try locking the stuff I haven't monkeyed with at "Normal" and see what happens, then.