New Computer Speakers

ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Hardware
I summon my fellow Icrontians to help me make a decision on a new set of speakers for my computer. Currently I have a set of Logitech Z560s which I have had since 2003. They have been great speakers even though they are only a 4.1 system. The problem is, somewhere along the way with all the moving back and forth between college then down to Lansing, I've lost the rear satellites. Also, it seems that the front right speaker is starting to flake out as it sometimes drops audio. I have since decided that it is time to replace them. I'm looking to get a solid 5.1 system that is going to last me a while. The problem is, I haven't really been keeping up with what is good in the world of PC audio lately. I want to get something under 200 dollars, they don't need to be as powerful as the Z560s are (lets be honest, 300W computer speakers were fun in college, but they're just too powerful for practical purposes). Right now I'm considering these two sets:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836113009

I'm not sure if the Altec Lansings are worth the extra money though. I know that back in '03, Altec Lansing made some of the best surround computer speakers on the market. I was actually considering getting their 300W 4.1 system back then but went with the Logitechs due to the fact that the Altec Lansings were sold out everywhere I looked and the specs on the Logitechs were comparable. My question to you fine gentlemen is... if you had the choice would you go with the Logitechs or the ALs... or is there a better choice that meets my criteria (5.1 surround, under 200$, preferably with a control pod not integrated into one of the satellites) which I have failed to find?

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I run Logi Z5500s, and "too powerful" be damned. You can always turn it down. They are, however, slightly over your budget. Still, I do love and recommend them - if you can fit them in, they will even be good for a home theater setup if you want to dual-purpose or repurpose them later.

Of the two you've chosen, I'd go with the Logis - from personal experience, they make great computer speakers, and from the Newegg ratings, I'll trust something with 200 reviews more than something with 10, especially when the one with 192 is also rated better.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    True... though I've found that NewEgg ratings can be quite unreliable. A lot of people will rate an item down due to silly things like slow shipping or a product that arrived damaged. Since posting this I've looked at a few reviews of the AL speakers (not of the Logitechs yet though). Toms Hardware gives them a thumbs up, TechLoop gives them a 9.5/10, and TestFreaks gives them an 8.2/10. I do like the fact that the ALs come with a wireless remote as well whereas the Logitechs don't, the ALs have a tweeter and midrange in each satellite whereas, from the looks of it, the Logi's have two unified drivers in each satellite.

Oh, as for re-purposing, that's not really a concern for me. Computer speakers won't cut it for me there. I have two floor speakers that I gutted and rebuilt by hand along with a receiver. While this system is going to be getting some upgrades probably sometime next year, no computer speaker could ever replace it.

Anyway... time to look up some reviews on the Logitechs.
    edited July 2009
    Hmm... the Logitechs seem to also get high marks in the reviews I'm looking at... though I've yet to find a site that has reviewed both sets of speakers so I can't get a good head to head gauge from a single source. I like the fact that the Logitech center channel is designed to latch on to the top of a flat panel monitor though... that's a really neat idea and may end up as a deciding factor. The thing that I'm unhappy about for both of these systems is that they don't use standard speaker wire. My current Logitechs do which was nice because the speaker wires were too short so I just replaced them with some 12g copper speaker wire I had laying around. Both the systems I'm looking at now use barrel connectors meaning if the wires are too short I have to bust out my soldering gun and splice more wire in. What a pain.
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited July 2009
    I haven't heard the Altec Lansing FX5051s in person but I do have the AL FX4021s which are the 2.1 little brother of the FX5051. They were some old speakers that were just hanging around my dad didn't use anymore.

For gaming they sound great. The subwoofer is especially good, producing clean solid bass and a lot of it.

For music though they seem lacking. The bass sounds great but the midrange seems quiet and if you turn up the volume it sounds mushed together.

Something that everyone talks about with the FX5051s and the FX4021s is this audible "hiss" when the speakers are on but nothing is playing. It's not really a deal breaker but if your computer is quiet and you were sitting down with no music or anything playing you would hear it.

To be perfectly honest though it's the audiophile in me that's really picking at the midrange problem and if you had these for just everyday music listening you would be happy.

But for a 5.1 setup I'd recommend the Logitech Z5500 like Snarkasm did. They sound great and also use standard speaker wire which in the case of surround sound is a must have.
    ardichoke wrote:
    I do like the fact that the ALs come with a wireless remote as well whereas the Logitechs don't

The FX5051s and FX4021s use the same wireless remote, and while the rest of the set feels like a quality product it just feels cheaply made. But like almost everything, if you don't beat the crap out of it it should last plenty long.
    edited July 2009
    Thanks Serp. After reading some reviews and whatnot, as well as considering what you've had to say, I'm not convinced that the Altec Lansings are worth the extra money. If the two systems were the same price, I'd probably buy the Altecs but since the Logitech system is less expensive, I'm leaning towards that. I'd love to buy the Z5500's but they just aren't in my price range. Maybe if the economy didn't suck so much and I was getting paid more I could go with that... but that's not the case. If anyone has other input or suggestions though, I'm not planning on purchasing til Thursday so I'm open to suggestion until then!
    edited July 2009
    Side note: the Z5500s have a remote control. If that helps sway your decision...
    edited July 2009
    It doesn't. Fact of the matter is a remote is bonus to me, price however is a deal-breaker.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/p/swan-m200mkii/products_id/80

Honestly, no box 5.1 desktop pc sound system is going to be anywhere near good in terms of audio quality. If your looking for a solid performing desktop load speaker in your range price range ide go with an active loudpseaker system. I've had the chance to hear these and theyre very nice. When i move my current sound system out to my tv ill be gettin a set of these for my desktop.

Hope i got here before you purchased some junk :range:
    edited July 2009
    Also, I've read people like the Swan M10 as well but I've never perosnally heard them so i can't realy recomend them.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    i vote z5500's love mine,
    I use my pc solely as my entertainment system also though.
    edited July 2009
    I have to say I disagree, Magic. The Z5500s are QUITE good in audio quality, and everybody I know that purchased them is quite happy with their buy. They may not be 100% audiophile, but they're supremely qualified to be your PC and entry- to mid-level home theater setup.
    edited July 2009
    I generally never go past 3 on mine, dont feel like pissing off the neighbors or my roommates, they are very fun running bass tests though
    edited July 2009
    the z5500's have the standard speaker wire, MANY inputs, optical, coax, 3 individual analog or just front,rear,centersub.

Biggest downside to me is the remote is ir not rf. I generally have the module sitting in a spot I cant easily hit with a ir remote.
    The 10" sub is very nice, let me retest that bass test... damn it neighbors called the cops :P

the module has multiple audio effects so if you cant nativity throw 5.1 at them from your source it can emulate it to an acceptable level. like winamp throwing 2.1 it will emulate the rear and center to a close range, or you can set it to equally mirror front/back.
    it has a music and movie mode, but I dont really hear a difference in either.
    edited July 2009
    I'm just going on my experience and I have never ben Wowed by the audio quality of any creative, altec, or logitec multimedia audio product.
    edited July 2009
    My Z560s had excellent sound quality... I've just worn them out after years of use is all. Once again though, the z5500s are more than I'm willing to spend... especially since my motherboard crapped out on my this morning so I've had to order a replacement for that.

Magic - I'm no audiophile, I'm not looking for exceptional sound quality (that's what my stereo is for), I'm just looking for a decent sounding 5.1 setup for under 200 bucks.
    edited July 2009
    decent and under 200 dont mix :P save some cash, you'll enjoy it
    edited July 2009
    Yes, disregard what everybody is saying about how good their Logitechs are because Altec only makes one thing. A lot of people don't understand how important only making speakers is to making good speakers.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Yes, disregard what everybody is saying about how good their Logitechs are because Altec only makes one thing. A lot of people don't understand how important only making speakers is to making good speakers.

Well yes it was but I had a momentary membory lapse about everything good about Altec is now Electro-Voice. and the altec brand was sold off. I didn't say to buy them for the fact of them exclusively making them I said to buy them for the sake of all the years of R&D, but now I may lean towards the logitecs as I suspect neither has a tweeter. I'd say my disdain towards either system is equal. Sure, you may think they sound good, but I also feel as though my saturn is a decent ride until I get in my buddies Audi.
    edited July 2009
    I do like the isobaric subwoofer configuration in the Altec Lansing.... What I've read about that makes it sound like a really neat setup. Also, airborn, the Altec Lansing speakers do have a tweeter in each satellite. The Logitechs do not appear to, it looks like they have dual combined drivers instead. My question to Logitech is, if you're going to put two physical speakers in each satellite anyway, why not make one a midrange and one a tweeter? Seems kind of silly to me.
  • edited July 2009
    IMHO, an a/v receiver + a home-theater speaker system + a toslink cable combination is the best solution.

Something like this:
    ONKYO HT-S6100 Black 7.1 Channel Home Theater System
    edited July 2009
    The thing that's $400 out of his price range?
  • edited July 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    The thing that's $400 out of his price range?

There are options within the budget as well. See here

Such a setup is not dedicated to the computer. TV, DVD player, game console can also be connected simultaneously. Plus, it is like having a very expensive sound card with DDL. Most of the HT receivers enrich the stereo input to 5.1 channels optionally.