What's your weakness?

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited November 2009 in Lifestyle
Mine is post. I almost hate any changes in post so I try to avoid any adjustments. I'm getting better at it, but I really need to get used to making more changes after I take the picture.

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Mine is my camera (old point and shoot), and complete lack of skill.

I'm thinking about taking a photography class next year, though. Because you jerks have got me wanting to.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Hardware
    Photography skill
    I lack the whole package really.... one might say I'm the complete package of fail.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I'd say I lack equipment but then I'd be a liar. In capable hands, my camera could do some amazing things. What I really lack is the skill, vision, and practice to get a good shot more than 5% of the time.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Time, and thus creativity. Creativity doesn't come easily to me, but if I had time, I could make do with what I have.

That and personality. I need to get into the right mentality to start thinking that I am a photographer and I need to have that confidence to go out, shoot random things without looking like a total idiot in full gear, and be better at asking to set up shots, etc.

Creativity and personality... not two traits you want to lack if you're getting into photography as a business...
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I feel like I'm also lacking creativity. When I have a lot of time, or I come up with something immediately, I can have a very creative idea. However, when I don't have an idea immediately, I can't get anything.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    For the mechanical shot, I wanted badly to tear the back off a watch to get a shot of the gears inside. I couldn't get the back off of any of the watches I own, and I crumbled all the way down to the same bike gears three of us came up with.

Your computer shake was brilliant, and your dead-tree-in-live-tree shot was great. Prime's zombie DIMMs were awesome; reyrey's iMac shot and marushka's missing arm were both incredibly clever. I don't feel like I've had a brilliant idea yet for this.

Just keep pushing forward, I guess.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    T.B.H., I think that might be a weakness of the 'picture-a-day' schedule. I really haven't been super-satisfied with the creativeness of anything but the computer shake picture. I got the idea for that one well in advance and was really excited to take it. I think there's advantages to requiring pictures every day, but once you have a cool idea for a theme well in advance, you'll come up with something really cool.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I have a tendency to over-process. I also get way too ambitious with my photo ideas and then cheap out because it's either too complicated or too involved.

Wait... is this about photography?
  • MarushkaMarushka cambridge, ma Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Man, i dont know where to begin. I like being creative, but if I dont have an idea i think is cool, then i dont have a picture i want to take. I want to be able to make pictures just aesthetically interesting and beautiful, and I dont know how to do that. I love telling stories with pictures, but if the task was to take a picture that just looks rad, i have no clue where to begin. It seems like all of you guys have the ability to just take gorgeous and simple pictures. I think that takes a lot more vision than i have and I would like to be able to look at a scene and see how to set up the shot. There is a lot to learn before I start to blame my point-and-shoot.
    edited July 2009
    Your other weakness is NO AVATAR. You're an icrontian now, whether you like it or not. :D
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Maybe that's just what she looks like Prime. As for my weakness... no camera. :(
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Composition and creativity. I envy those people that could see a rusty nail and just take an awesome shot. I have no creativity whatsoever. If the shot is there I can take it but if I have to create one, I'm SOL. Not just with photography but with drawing and everything else. Just how I am.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Time is a weakness of mine (hence why I haven't even contributed yet :( ) but that's arbitrary, and doesn't count.

My biggest weakness? People. I HATE shooting portraits, or any other work that involves people.

My favorite shoots are when I walk alone at night and shoot long exposure of buildings, landscapes, trees, whatever. I love natural and man made beauty found isolated, it's generally where my strongest photography reveals itself.

I'm an introvert, and I'm shy around people. Shooting people I know is hard enough, shooting people I don't know (even if it's a freelance gig) is next to impossible for me.

Funny, my job at the studio is doing exactly that - shooting people. Video or not, it's still photography, and it's still my weakness.
    edited July 2009
    Black Hawk wrote:
    Composition and creativity. I envy those people that could see a rusty nail and just take an awesome shot. I have no creativity whatsoever. If the shot is there I can take it but if I have to create one, I'm SOL. Not just with photography but with drawing and everything else. Just how I am.

I think you're more creative than you give yourself credit for. The shots you've submitted to the challenge have been very well composed.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Learning about the rule of thirds is probably what helped me the most. Right now I'm blocked with finding something to shoot at. I do feel I am a bit limited by my lens but I can't use that as an excuse. In the end I'll probably try and find a lizard or lay on the floor and try to get a shot of my dogs.
    edited July 2009
    Coqui!
    edited July 2009
    Even though you hear a dozen of them every night, they're kinda hard to find. They're half an inch in size.
  • MarushkaMarushka cambridge, ma Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    oh prime, I'll give you an avatar.
    edited July 2009
    SIGH.... My other weakness
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I am going to say that I have no training at all in photography, but this section of the forum is making me want to learn. I have a Canon XSi that I bought mainly to take photos of my two kids ;) I am going to learn the manual settings on the camera first. As time allows, I will try to participate in the photo a day. Just be kind, I am new to this :) We should start a thread of best photography web resources. Things like personal favorite tips and tricks, etc.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    My weakness is definitely in post. I know how to crop and scale and know the two GIMP filters that will correct for bad white balance on my camera and improve the dynamic range. I have no idea how to do anything creative in post.

-drasnor :fold:
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I usually don't use post, mainly because all my job entails is visual compositing.
  • edited November 2009
    I usually just have nothing interesting to photograph. I sit around the house far too much.