thoughts on which cms for me to use

edited July 2009 in Internet & Media
i haven't created a site using any CMS tool before, but i'm quite interested in learning one... i've worked with creating static html/css sites and a little bit of php, but creating from scratch like this (and maintaining) can be time consuming!

i'm going to start working on a tag/touch rugby site... the main goal for the site is to display information about game schedules, game results, and other related upcoming sports events

the site will enable organizers to update game schedules and news (Which will most probably be in the front page)

there is also a likely chance that an extension will be added for an online Community Discussion Board (Forum)

at the moment i'm looking at Wordpress (Which i think is the easiest to learn - and can have some powerfull features/plugins without overdoing things)

can some one make some recommendation on suggestion on this? thanks in advance...

anyways, i've created a simple layout for a start http://www.centraltag.co.nz

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Wordpress.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    wordpress
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    PHP-nuke!

hahaha... really though, Thrax and Nate are probably right. Joomla is nice too though.
    edited July 2009
    joomla I hear is really nice, all the sites ive designed never needed all the features avail in joomla, woordpress had everything I've needed. as for forums, I just installed vanilla and added a ton of plugins.
    edited July 2009
    of as for your site, you seem to know what your doing, you can get the most barebones wordpress theme and incorporate it into the page and no one will ever notice its using wp.

Bleh, I was gonna link my friends site he built, but the webmaster he handed it off to kinda stripped wp out and the site now sucks :\
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Does your Web Host have fantastico? Its a quick and easy way to try out different packages and get a site up and running to test out its features.

However, don't use the fantastico version for the "live" site unless you update to the lastest version and maintain the updates thereafter.
  • edited July 2009
    thanks guys i'm really looking into wordpress now -- also another point is that my client(s) will do most (if not all) of updating and feeding data onto the site... looking at the back-end of Wordpress, it's neat and simple :)

again, thanks for your comments and time :)