Can't get F@H running on Vista 64

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Folding@Home
For the life of me, I can't get the program to start.

Downloaded the FAH6.23beta-win32-SMP-mpich from stanford, right click, install as admin, went through that, ran install.bat, gave it all the info and when I click on the exe to start the program, I get a flash of what it should be, then the window closes.
It's on Vista Ultimate 64, my account has full admin rights, UAC is turned off, I have the 64bit version of .net 2.0 installed.

What did I miss?:confused2

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    1. Try running a command prompt as administrator ("Run as administrator") and accessing the executable via command line.

2. Is there a FAH6.23beta-win64-SMP-mpich for 64-bit systems?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    You probably don't have the most recent executable, Dan. If the window flashes and immediately closes, it's usually because the client you're running expired. Check the site again for the newest one.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    I had that problem too, until I used the drop-in 6.23R3 .exe file. Make sure you follow installation instructions carefully, getting the SMP client to actually run in SMP is more finicky than it sounds.

As a quick guide...
    install the SMP 32/64 bit client
    replace the .exe file with the 6.23R3 executable
    open a cmd.exe box with administrator privileges
    navigate to the install directory and run install.bat
    once it completes, exit the cmd box and navigate to the install directory with windows explorer
    make a shortcut to the .exe (put it on your desktop or whatever), then right click it and click properties
    in the Target field, jump the cursor to the end, press the spacebar once, and then type:
    -smp
    click ok.

After running through the config for the client (through the shortcut), it should start folding using all available CPU cores.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    ^that looks familiar....teheh
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    I wonder why. >.>
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    The only drop in's that I see are for 5.91... Where do I find the new R3?
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Work has been stupid busy lately, have had zero Dan time.

Finally got around to this. Thanks Snarkasm.