2009.07.26 "Crystals" discussion

mondimondi Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Lifestyle
I took this earlier this year, so I left it out of the main thread: I feel like there's more that could have been done here, but any more post and the details in the mid-tones start to disappear.

crystal.jpg

Aperture: f/2.5
Shutter speed: 1/8000
Exposure bias 0ev
ISO: 100
Focal length: 50.0mm

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: EF50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro

@Zanthian: Technically good, but perhaps a little boring. I feel like you'd benefit from framing it a lot tighter.

@CB: <3, love the abstraction, although I wish there was more contrast.

@LIN: Not sure about this one, I feel like there's a much better photo in there. You could probably have left out the bracelet entirely and concentrated on the refracted light.

@Snark: I feel like the frame really brings this one down. I really love the iris and the lashes, but the thick black frame really distracts me.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Interesting shot, mondi. I don't know what it is, but it leads me around anyway.

Zan - Very nice. Pretty good crop, good lighting, good color. Perhaps a little plain. Well done.

CB - Very interesting. A little dirty, but it adds character.

Lin - It's a little overexposed on the left, but I like the colors coming through. Good shot.

Shwaip - Good DOF. The crystals could use a little more definition between them (in places, they look clumped), but it's a quite good macro shot nonetheless. Having fun with your tubes?

Marushka - Good portrait-style shot. Excellent crop, the fingers are nice and straight, and the lighting and color are great. Good job!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Zanthian - my eye is drawn to her ear, and I can't really look elsewhere. Dunno why.

CB - I'd be interested in seeing exactly what this was. Maybe a little less zoomed in.

LIN - the rainbow effects are really cool. I also think it's a bit overexposed on the left.

Snark - It looks great at the smaller size. I think the shot is a little too bright when i look at it full size.

me - I threw some salt down on the table and played with my macro tubes and off-camera flash. I tweaked the contrast/brightness a little and converted to gray scale - the table looked a little brown and i wanted it to look black & white. I think i could be better served by having a tripod for both the flash and camera, but this was taken with the flash on a tripod and hand-held camera.

marushka - Snark asked me in chat if you were trying to tell me something :D. You did a really good job of making the ring come out in the shot and still keep the skin looking 'natural' (at least on this monitor).

mondi - no idea what it is, but it looks cool! I like the photo a lot.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    CB - I'd be interested in seeing exactly what this was.

It's a thin, polished slice of geode.
  • MarushkaMarushka cambridge, ma Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    marushka - Snark asked me in chat if you were trying to tell me something :D

you wish, sucka. (lookin for an "oh snap!" emoticon...)
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    CB- Cool subject, Could have been interesting to have used some colored lighting.

Lin - Love the colors and the refraction idea.

Snark - Very interesting shot, what post work did you do?

Swaip - Love this picture, makes the salt look like tilt shifted dice to me.

Marushka - Great color and nice lines.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    For post on mine, I desaturated reds, oranges, and yellows and took the flash out of my pupil. I probably raised black levels just a bit, and cropped.

The end!
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited July 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    Zanthian - my eye is drawn to her ear, and I can't really look elsewhere. Dunno why.
    Same with me! (It was what inspired me to post, though!)

CB - I wondered what that was, too!

Snark - I like it, a lot.

shwaip - Salt, - a common item, but one I didn't even think of. Great macro shot. You guys must have some great equipment AND editing talent.

Marushka - I like the fact that it is a clean & simple shot. Good one. :)

Thanks, guys. I played with the contrast a little. The sun was blindingly bright & I couldn't (or don't know how to) play with just one side of an image. Mondi - if I had posted only the refracted light portion, I think that would have been another topic...
    Appreciate the critiques, though, and at least it's inspiring me to post pics. :)
  • MarushkaMarushka cambridge, ma Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Zanthian - I think the fact that the largest face of the crystal is completely white from reflection makes my eyes treat it a bit like clutter, so im not spending much time looking there.

CB - Cool shot, I like how everything is composed even though we are looking at a small part of something larger.

LIN - I love it. I absolutely love it. The little girl in me still reall wants all those pretty shiny colored jewels like at the end of goonies.

Snark - really effin cool.

shwaip - man thats awesome. I can't tell if its bothering me that the line of focus seems not perfectly horizontal. but since it keeps my interest and i keep staring at your picture, it must be right.

me - her fingers definitely look red to me. I wonder if they looked that way on my screen last night, or if its just my monitor here. I get carried away with post and I must have adjusted the colors somehow... but thanks for all of your comments!