Not Overclocking

QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Hardware
Somebody from IC told me that I was overclocking my computer too much because I announced it was overheating while playing TF2...

My computer is not being overclocked in any way! My laptop just likes to overheat after running TF2 or WoW or the like for a few hours on hot summer days.
But it is not overclocked! In fact, it is merely clocked!

Thank you.

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    Common problem with laptops with (poorer) mobile cooling designs. Just make sure the unit's intake and output vents are unblocked, and that's about all you can do, unless you want to spend extra money on a laptop cooling pad.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I've been doing that. It has no problems during the rest of the year, just with summer heat, it freaks out. Plus, i bought a (admittedly cheap) cooling pad of Woot a few days ago, so here's hoping that helps a bit.

For longer gaming bouts, I've been putting my lappy up on books to let air flow under it, and have been pointing a fan at the back :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Have you cleaned it? Laptop heatsinks are very compact, and thus dust tends to cake up in between the fins. My ex's laptop was overheating badly, so I completely disassembled it, pulled dustcakes out, took off the heatsink, applied really good thermal compound (Arctic Silver 5) instead of the factory gunk, reassembled it, and it ran like a dream from then on.
    edited July 2009
    Have you cleaned it? Laptop heatsinks are very compact, and thus dust tends to cake up in between the fins. My ex's laptop was overheating badly, so I completely disassembled it, pulled dustcakes out, took off the heatsink, applied really good thermal compound (Arctic Silver 5) instead of the factory gunk, reassembled it, and it ran like a dream from then on.

See that bold up there? Yeah, that's the problem. I have very little experience, and even less trust in my experience, with fiddling in laptop innards. Do you think it would be possible to just run a vacuum cleaner over the exterior part of the vents? Or would that be a bad idea?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    What laptop do you have?
    edited July 2009
    Compaq Presario V6000. Specific model i'm not sure about (I'm at work, not home, so i cant check at the moment)
    edited July 2009
    you can try reading the manual for how to remove the cpu/hsf and see if it sounds too daunting:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035886.pdf

(section 5.20)

You also might be able to do some reasonable cleaning just by removing the keyboard.
    edited July 2009
    Hey thanks shwaip! I'll check it out. I was looking for a maintenance manual, but for some reason I was unable to find it, so THANKS
    edited July 2009
    As I look at it, it basically tells you to take the entire thing apart. I'd recommend just taking the keyboard off and seeing what you can do from there.