First time playing at a card shop

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited September 2009 in Gaming
So, I ponied up and went to the weekly draft at the local card shop. I use the term "local" loosely; it's 4 miles north of the airport, so it was a bit of a drive.

Turns out the weekly draft is sparsely attended; there were only 4 of us (including the clerk), so it wasn't sanctioned. However, it's was still a HELL of a lot of fun. We drafted 2010. One of the other guys was brand new too, and we all did pretty well. I only won 1/3 matches, but damn was that third one close :D Went into the third game at least 20 turns before he got me.

The word is that lots of people play on Tuesdays, and that it's more than likely we'd be better able to put together a 8-person draft then, so that's the new plan.

Drafted a red/green with 2 Lightning Bolts and 2 Giant Growths. :D Highlight: Got my Bogardan Hellkite into play in the match I won. One of the other guys apparently had all the common/uncommon he needed and split all the ones he got between me and the other new guy.

Overall, outstanding experience. I was grinning like an idiot half way home. :vimp:

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Fun. Drafting is a great way to make friends and get a ton of commons and uncommons. I've found that you have better luck building sets with drafts than you do just buying boosters. We drafted the heck out of The Spoils prior to it's parent company going tits up. Thankfully the game has changed hands and will be relaunched soon.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Awesome.... I am still working over the two guys to get their cards. ;)
  • lunchb0xlunchb0x Lansing, MI New
    edited July 2009
    Sometimes I wish I didn't work seconds. There's a shop near my house that does drafts every week. I haven't played Magic in years but I kind of want to get back into it.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Here's my decklist, mostly for Nemikan and my own future reference (key cards in bold):

Red:
    • Bogardan Hellkite
    • Dragon Whelp
    • Burst of Speed
    • Prodigal Pyromancer
    • Berserkers of Blood Rage
    • Lightning Bolt (2)
    • Goblin Piker
    • Viashino Spearhunter
    • Sparkmage Apprentice
    Green:
    • Giant Growth (2)
    • Entangling Vines
    • Rampant Growth
    • Deadly Recluse
    • Regenerate (2)
    • Runeclaw Bear (2)
    • Centaur Courser (2) - very solid
    • Mist Leopard
    • Nature's Spiral
    • Acidic Slime
    • Howl of the Night Pack (never got it into play, but damn :( )
    6 Mountains, 9 Forests, and I sideboarded a Naturalize against 1 of my opponents. One of the other players snagged a Shivan Dragon and then didn't draft more red :(

Unfortunately I dabbled in blue and a couple in white before I decided on green for certain. Got the Hellkite in my opening pack, which immediately put me in red.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Not a bad draft at all. I would have scraped the burst of speed, maybe the regenerates.... The main problem it seems is that you don't have any kill / removal besides the 2 lightning bolts, sparkmage apprentice, and entangling vines (which is pricey compared to other color versions). But from what your saying you probably didn't have much else in your selection :P
    The other issue is that the dragon whelp is a bit weak with only 6 mountains.

You also don't seem to have enough cheap creatures. All your stuff is pretty slow :( but you do have some VERY nice picks! That Acidic Slime is actually pretty awesome too. In this block there are enough enchantments to make him worthwhile. Primarily entangling vines, Pacifism and arkenform (SP? its a +3/+3 green enchant), and ice cage.

Fun stuff!!! There is my deck critic. MTG FTW!
    edited July 2009
    My options were pretty limited; there was someone else in both colors. The Regenerates were actually pretty clutch, surprisingly. I was actively going for more cheap creatures and removal, but that's all I ended up with.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I didn't want to start my own thread for this and this thread seemed most appropriate. I've never really done the whole Magic thing, I stuck with Pokemon and then Yu-Gi-Oh when it was released. But my school was doing some sort of promotion or contest or something. Anyway I won me a big box of cards. With all the card shops around here that support Magic I may just start getting into it.

Oh and if anyone has a Yu-Gi-Oh deck I'd love to play sometime.
    edited September 2009
    [insert snarky Pokemon comment here]

What's the big box? Booster box of 2010?
    edited September 2009
    I don't have a clue. Like I said I never really followed Magic. They're mostly Black cards which I assume has a death theme judging from the pictures. Anyway I got 100 many are repeated. 2010 seems like a good guess to me.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I though the "Big Box" was just the booster box, but with toys added, like the latest novel, and a life counter, and stuff...
    edited September 2009
    Nope it was like 100 cards with a life counter and a rules book.