power supplies

dns340dns340 louisiana
edited July 2009 in Hardware
anyone ever looked into why so many power supplies fail, instead we all just chang them anyone,:)???????????????????????????

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Yeah. They fail because they use crap components. That's why we recommend people only buy well-tested, well made PSUs.
  • dns340dns340 louisiana
    edited July 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    Yeah. They fail because they use crap components. That's why we recommend people only buy well-tested, well made PSUs.
    Sure your right but maybe it's just something very simple and could be fixed easy,i know it's not worth the time
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    You're suggesting people repair their own PSUs? Ever seen the inside of one? They're not for the uninitiated. You'd have to have some solid knowledge of electrical components to even try and troubleshoot it let alone do any repairs and soldering.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    dns340 wrote:
    Sure your right but maybe it's just something very simple and could be fixed easy,i know it's not worth the time

Yeah, not recomended. Would you rather buy another 100 dollar psu or try to fix your 40 dollar one and potentially destroy the thousand dollar system it powers? :wtf:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Also, the caps in a psu hold QUITE a shock for you if you touch them.

PSUs fail when too much current is drawn through components, making them overheat. When they overheat many things can go wrong. Resistors can burn out, breaking the connection. ICs/voltage regulators have transistors that can short/open when they're overloaded. There are enough different things in a psu that can break and need to be replaced that it's no where near worth it to fix. And if you put it back in the same conditions, it's just going to blow again.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    So many PSUs die because so many people buy shitty ones.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    So many PSUs die because so many people buy shitty ones.

QFT