AMDZone overclocks the Opteron 242 (1.60ghz)

Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
AMDZone overclocks the Opteron 242 (1.6ghz)! (2003-06-26)
For now we have a better idea of how Opteron is overclocked, and how well it can overclock. Further investigation must be done to determine what exactly is holding our 242 at 1.8GHz. To do this we need additional memory, heatsinks, CPUs, and motherboards to test with. We hope to get our hands on 244s or a 144 to see if 2GHz is a possibility, and we are also interested in seeing if the lowest cost 240 series is a good overclocker as it seems the most obvious choice for overclockers.

For now almost reaching 1.8GHz stable in Windows is encouraging, but we are concerned about the AGP issue. Regardless we are relieved to see that indeed the Opteron can be overclocked, and we hope that boards add additional features like multiplier choices. Stay tuned for more information on Opteron overclocking as we continue our testing.

read all about it here

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    I thought there wasnt really a multi on the new Opterons/AMD64s because the integrated mem controller ran at the same speed the CPU did thus not needing a multiplier.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    There's still a base system clock.....
    edited June 2003
    Would that be between the CPU/memory controller and the Memory and the rest of the system then?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The speed of the hypertransport bus is the basic clock cycle for the entire system.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    I think the HPT bus runs asynchronously with the CPU and/or Memory
    edited June 2003
    I thought it was at 800mhz which would give it 6.4gb/s right?