Motherboard failure??

hongyhongy Diamond Bar, CA
edited August 2009 in Hardware
I recently built a desktop and had A LOT of problems with it.
First, my powersupply was 'unstable' and so I had to get rid of that and bought a stronger one. My problem with the first powersupply was that it started to make a 'ringing' noise when I turned it on from the back. I got it to work.. and then I came home after some errands and it stopped working. One time it even turned off because I was plugging in my monitor. So I plugged my new powersupply in and voila, it worked. Then as I was putting on the screws to lock the side of my tower, it just died (I was playing games on it and it was working fine for two-three hours before its death). Is it my motherboard that is causing all these problems? And also.. the side of my tower had MASSIVE static... for unknown reasons..

And if it helps, here are the specs:
CPU AMD|PH II X4 810 AM3 RT
HD 320G|WD 7K 16M SATA2
MB GIGABYTE | GA-MA770T-UD3P AMD770
VGA SAPPHIRE HD4870 512M RT
2x2GB DDR3 ram

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    It almost sounds like a piece of hardware is grounded to your case which shouldn't be... I once had trouble with an older case, the reset switch had broken right behind the button and one of the wires was touching the case... whenever I gave it enough of a bump, it tripped the reset circuit and my PC would reboot...

I have no idea if that might be the cause here or not, but have a quick inspection of the power and reset switches in your case. If they seem to be sound, try to run through as much standard troubleshooting steps as possible... disconnect as much hardware from the motherboard as possible and see if you can get it to at least POST. Maybe something just isn't seated quite right.
  • hongyhongy Diamond Bar, CA
    edited August 2009
    Blah. I tried everything.. it wont start at all! D: Perhaps it IS the tower...
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    As a last-ditch, you could try removing all the hardware from the case and connecting it up on a good solid piece of wood (or other non-conductive surface). If it still doesn't work, the motherboard may be bad or may have been damaged by the first power supply.

You can turn the PC on when setting it up like this by manually shorting the power switch connector with a coin, a metal utensil, a bobby pin, or any other small hunk of metal that occurs to you.