looking for a new motherboard

test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
edited August 2009 in Hardware
I'm building a new computer on a very slim budget. system purpose? 20% gaming and 80% multi track audio recording. what does the board need to have? 2x pci-e 16X slots (for quad monitor support), at least 1 pci slot, good support for at least 8 gigs ram (although ill be starting with 2x 2 gig modules and upgrading later), and i suppose sli support would be good too but isnt necessary. i probably wont be overclocking as stability is very important.

i was browsing newegg and i saw they didnt have much in the way of matx boards that fit this description. was hoping someone might know of some gem that newegg doesnt have listed. any suggestions?

oh, and it doesnt really have to be matx, but i wanted the system to be very portable and on the small side. wanted to use the antec matx p180b case but im not set on it. so lightweight small atx suggestions would be helpful too. something sturdy, quiet, and doesnt look like it could sprout arms and legs and kill me. some cases that are out right now are just plain ugly >.< lol

thanks!

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    You pci-e slots only need to run 8x right? Otherwise you are very limited in options.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I am selling a EVGA 780i 3 way SLI Motherboard for 100 shipped Thats a awesome board
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    You can also drive over to Fry's or Microcenter and browse around to pick up a few ideas.
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited August 2009
    edcentric wrote:
    You pci-e slots only need to run 8x right? Otherwise you are very limited in options.

yea. 8x pcie is fine. like i said. its mostly for music production. no real need for extreme graphics.

and GnomeWizardd, ill consider purchasing your board. thats a very tasty deal, but let me sit on it for a day or two. im still keeping my eye out for a mATX board tho. ill let you know either way. :)