Thanks to Snark, I have a new mouse! What settings should I use?

QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Hardware
Snark is awesome. You guys know that, right? Anyways, he was kind enough to send me a Razer Copperhead to replace my balls-terrible mouse I had before.

But anyways. So, for the first time, I have a mouse that has more than two buttons (3 if you count scroll wheel click), and a whole host of shiney settings like DPI and Polling Rate.

So, liek...what's the advantages and disadvantages of setting those DPI and Polling Rates higher and lower? (For DPI, i mean compared to using the "Mouse sensitivity" option). And for those of you who game (specifically, TF2), what do you use extra mouse buttons for? (I have two more available beside my thumb...

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    DPI - high as you can go. That determines how precise the sensor is and how well it tracks your movements.
    Polling rate - high as you can go (I don't know of any disadvantages, others might). That determines how often information gets exchanged between mouse and computer - a faster polling rate will update the computer more frequently on mouse position and tracking.

I don't use anything besides the standard buttons for TF2 - fire, alt fire, and scroll. The thumb buttons I use to go forward/back in web pages and explorer windows, since that's more useful to me - I can put macros, if I wanted them, on a keyboard stroke with the G15.

Hope you like the mouse!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    :life: